Gibson Brands Forums

I really don't want to go home

TommyK

Rained like a SOB last night and this a.m. According to NOAA, my back yard got 6 - 8 inches since last night. And there's more rain coming tonight. I'll be going home in about an hour. I hope my sump pump is keeping up. [crying]

Floods of any kind are a bummer. I can agree to the high cost of clean up, not to mention living with industrial strength humidifiers and fans on the floor for a day or two. Hope all is well man and keep your chin up maybe the storm will pass.

I do 't think it was the rain that was getting him down. I think was visions of a flooded basement.

Have you ever had a flooded basement. Not fun. Not cheap. And worthy of much stress.

Yes I have........and much much worse..........so, ..........I don't see yer point Bluemoon...

Not worried about floods here in Arizona, of course much of the State is a raging wild fire right now so not sure which is worse! Somehow we gotta come up with a way to balance this weather just a bit. [confused]

Maybe someday when more than 1/2 of the worlds scientist are not employed working on weapons we can figure something out. We need a few more civil engineers and less bankers an lawyers.

My point is that he Is worried about his basement flooding. And that would seem like a legit worry...

You have obviously gone through a lot and wouldn't be phased by this. I would assume that doesn't mean one can't be sympathetic to those whose concerns and worries haven't been shaped yet by traumatic experiences.

My point is that he Is worried about his basement flooding. And that would seem like a legit worry...

You have obviously gone through a lot and wouldn't be phased by this. I would assume that doesn't mean one can't be sympathetic to those whose concerns and worries haven't been shaped yet by traumatic experiences.

I understand, and agree.........I actually am sympathetic, and hope that the rains subside..........Lots of crazy weather going on....

In hindsight, I was tired from working for hours on legal stuff....I thought this thread was by a different member.....My mistake, and bad....

Not worried about floods here in Arizona, of course much of the State is a raging wild fire right now so not sure which is worse! Somehow we gotta come up with a way to balance this weather just a bit. [confused]

Maybe someday when more than 1/2 of the worlds scientist are not employed working on weapons we can figure something out. We need a few more civil engineers and less bankers an lawyers.

What part of AZ you in? Im in the valley, Mesa area, hopefully your not anywhere near the fires. I really feel for those people out there in Eager and Springerville, have some friends that live out there.

Crazy weather indeed nationwide.

What part of AZ you in? Im in the valley, Mesa area, hopefully your not anywhere near the fires. I really feel for those people out there in Eager and Springerville, have some friends that live out there.

Crazy weather indeed nationwide.

Im in the Valley also but we have a cabin in Greer or should I say we might have a cabin in Greer. It's ok so far but oit looks like it's gonna be a long hot fire season.

Weather goes in cycles... Too often factors causing problems are human-caused.

We mostly dodged the bullet here during a flood because after a 1924 flood a levee system was installed and it still protects the town pretty well.

Fire... A lot of it is due to overpopulation and under-harvest of trees one way or another. Our area has far more forest fires than it used to because there are far more trees and far more tree diseases than even in 1980 thanks to a functional end of the timber industry brought by "environmentalists" who ignore that there are perhaps 10 times more trees, excluding "doghair pine" than before any development began in the 1870s.

Also figure that there is double the U.S. population than when I was a kid, and they appear to want an idealized rural lifestyle.

m

The weather never was predictable and we've always had fires and floods. We just didn't have the awareness of them due to less media attention.

Also we have more people living in flood-prone areas than even when I was a kid. Heck, we've got double the population and that is concentrated in certain areas that often are prone to natural disaster.

I remember only too well fighting to keep an Air Force radar station designed to find Russian bombers in the sky but ... functionally also were our only pre-warning of potential tornadoes and serious thunderstorms.

m

• 2 weeks later...

What? [scared] , Milod? You mean human activity, harvesting trees, is actually helpful to the environment? Perish the thought. [sneaky]

Many generations ago, when the first frenchman built the first cabin along the Mighty Missisip' in the delta flood plain, the locals shook their collective heads and collectively thought, "Stupid white man."

I think they are still saying the same thing.

The tree huggers refuse to understand that forests and the plains were burning long before the forebears of the Native Americans crossed the Bering Strait. This is how God planned the clean up of the forest floor. Good forestry management is good for us and good for the environment. But just enough of the vocal minority, who have couldn't tell a poplar from a saguaro, would have us believe that since we are human we are bad, ba-a-ad. [thumbdn] I guess the only way to combat this is to get just as vocal to deprive them of a one man debate.

Oh, and btw, the sump pump kept up and the flood was stanched.

That was quite nearly the 3rd 100 year rain this decade.

Archived