Gibson Brands Forums

Post your Old Band picture or your Old Self picture .

DonCarlos

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BlueNote Band Chicago 1953.

Gibsonian....... [thumbup] Thanks for posting that picture. Ranks as one of the coolest.

Okay folks........dig some more photos out, what use are they sitting in a box when they can be enjoyed here,

Anybody can make it to 80. Just keep breathing.

I played my first "money job" in 1947 at a waterfront bar on Harsen's Island in Michigan. It was the "Annual Muskrat Dinner". You have to be a native to appreciate boiled muskrat. If not they called it "Swamp Rabbit".

I worked pro until about 15 years ago when I lost my hearing. So, with a 50% hearing loss, I knew it was time to take up the guitar. If I lose the rest or my hearing I will take up the banjo.

I worked pro until about 15 years ago when I lost my hearing. So, with a 50% hearing loss, I knew it was time to take up the guitar. If I lose the rest or my hearing I will take up the banjo.

When I play, a 50% hearing loss is beneficial!

My dad played up until almost his 80th birthday, and he had virtually zero hearing.

No pictures but Rubber Soul was mentioned - it was the first album I bought on my own. It was on cassette at a flea market in wilmington, delaware. i didn't know it at the time but it was a bootleg and the tracks were on tape in reverse order. it cost $4 (2 weeks of cutting the grass.)

went from there to the same thing on CD, vinyl and MP3. I still can't listen to it properly in the intended track order - i listened to my faulty cassette waaaay too many times.

I still have a shirt like that.

Not sure I'd brag about that. I worked with a folk-rock group in the early 70's, and I've VERY grateful I don't have pictures of the things we wore. I'm talkin' striped velour bell-bottoms, Nehrus, suede boots, and sheepskin vests.

Not to mention the hair, of course. And the beards.

The hair is a LOT shorter now, and gray. The beard is little more than a shadow of its former self, and white.

But the guitars(and the music) live on......

E-minor7approx78.jpgThe Tired Servicemen

in the hall of Eds parents house trying to record - Approx. '78.

A 5 piece band.

Electrics – Fender Strat. and a burst Framus

Acoustics – Yamaha, Ibanez and my Morris as seen -

Bass – Fender Jazz

Drums – Some unnameable trash kit w. one good cymbal

Repertoire – Garage folkrock. This might be a rendition of Maggie's Farm in the rather savage recently released Hard Rain version. My left hand is in a Love The One You're With A-chord position though.

We had sparse gear, but used what was available. F.x. I see one of my fathers mics in the lower right corner. Another longish thing is hanging from the ceiling. The Morris still exists – a good friend have it.

Sad to say 3 of the guys left the planet much too early, , , so sad.. . .

Nope. Retired four years ago but am still tied in with the place. Spent most of my career there. In fact did a set with five docs last night at a graduation for some practitioners.

Let me know if you have a question about VA. Things have changed quite a bit since I was there.

DonCarlos - No worries.

• 2 weeks later...

Been a while since I posted in the Acoustic Section. I couldn't pass this old thread up:

ChickandTom.jpg

In the band room, getting ready to practice Pep band music. That's me, wish'n I was the one with the Epiphone guitar. Back then I didn't know what a bass guitar was. Heck I didn't even know how many strings a 'regular' guitar should have. All I knew was guitar was cool and I wanted one. That's me, the 'shmen. And I was having a particularly good hair day. At the bass is 'Chick', the coolest member of the band. Chick played bari-saxophone in the marching band, but bass in the pep band.

And no, I don't have a wide white belt like that any more.

Been a while since I posted in the Acoustic Section. I couldn't pass this old thread up:

ChickandTom.jpg

In the band room, getting ready to practice Pep band music. That's me, wish'n I was the one with the Epiphone guitar. Back then I didn't know what a bass guitar was. Heck I didn't even know how many strings a 'regular' guitar should have. All I knew was guitar was cool and I wanted one. That's me, the 'shmen. And I was having a particularly good hair day. At the bass is 'Chick', the coolest member of the band. Chick played bari-saxophone in the marching band, but bass in the pep band.

And no, I don't have a wide white belt like that any more.

Man...if you had a pinkie ring, you'd be one heck of a used car salesman!

Man...if you had a pinkie ring, you'd be one heck of a used car salesman!

Hunh? Oh, the white belt. Would have been more usedcarsalesman like if'n I had white shoes, which I didn't.

I wore that belt for freaking ever. Don't know why. I just liked it. Then one day when I was a Sophomore in college, I looked around and I was the only one wearing a wide, white belt. [blush] Off to JCPenney's I went. [thumbup]

I'll bet you a shiny new pick, KSDADDY has a white belt behind that Tele. [woot]

Hunh? Oh, the white belt. Would have been more usedcarsalesman like if'n I had white shoes, which I didn't.

I wore that belt for freaking ever. Don't know why. I just liked it. Then one day when I was a Sophomore in college, I looked around and I was the only one wearing a wide, white belt. [blush] Off to JCPenney's I went. [thumbup]

I'll bet you a shiny new pick, KSDADDY has a white belt behind that Tele. [woot]

We all have an epiphany like that at times.

Archived