Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone Riviera II

mydeadblues

Saw this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-RIVIERA-II-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-335-SHERATON-/120736735901?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1c78629d

I think these guitars were made for the Japanese market, it's not too often they come to the states. Anyone ever have a chance to play on of these? Does anyone know anything about them?

I'd be willing to bet thats a counterfit Epiphone from China. The discription reads like the ads on the Chinese web sites. Stay away from it.

I don't think there ever was a "Riviera II"..........

The shape looks just wrong.... [confused]

It is listed as "Sheraton II"

but AFAIK Sherrys don't have those fretboard inlays....

I've seen one pop up on eBay before and there is some info around the web indicating that they were made for Japan. They look like a riviera mixed with a supernova.

If they were for JDM, they should have a 2 screw trussrod, IMO

Possibly. They could just be counterfeits as mentioned before.

Here's a video I found of someone playing one. Anyone know if these guitars are counterfeits?

I remember seeing some guitars about a year ago being advertised on japanese websites that were 335 shaped with split block inlays. Think they were called the Epiphone 335 or something like that but there were a few different models and I remember a horrible supernova tpe one in pelham blue. Wouldn't say it was definitely a fake. Do Japanese guitars still come with 2 hole truss rod covers?

Don't know if this one is authentic or not but Epi has offered a Riviera II ( Basically the same specs as the Supernova ) for the last couple of years as a " Japan only " offering, finishes inc. Metalic Blue,Cherry Ebony and vintage Sunburst. I haven't seen but just a handful available here in the US. I wonder if it is stamped 2nd or USED ???

mgm

Don't know if this one is authentic or not but Epi has offered a Riviera II ( Basically the same specs as the Supernova ) for the last couple of years as a " Japan only " offering, finishes inc. Metalic Blue,Cherry Ebony and vintage Sunburst. I haven't seen but just a handful available here in the US. I wonder if it is stamped 2nd or USED ???

mgm

Yeah that's what I thought I read about these. I saw a factory 2nd in cherry pop up on eBay about a year ago but it had these horrible after market pin stripes. This is what the seller had to say about the ebony one.

Q: "Can you tell me the serial number. Also, where did you obtain this guitar from? The riviera II were only sold in the Japanese market, not the US."

A: "i teach in a music studio, and the guy had this in his shop for past few months....i believe he got it from his distributor where he gets all his supllies from..sn 10011501772"

The serial number was unrecognized on the guitar date project...

Saw this on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/EPIPHONE-RIVIERA-II-ELECTRIC-GUITAR-335-SHERATON-/120736735901?pt=Guitar&hash=item1c1c78629d

I think these guitars were made for the Japanese market, it's not too often they come to the states. Anyone ever have a chance to play on of these? Does anyone know anything about them?

IMO, the overall shape and proportions of the headstock are very weird looking.

Regards,

Bill

This guitar was made...

10=year

01=month

15=factorycode=Gibson/Epi owned QingDao plant, China

01772=production#

Guitardater can't verify a guitar - and can't decipher the serials used by Epi

after mid 2008, which don't have the letter-prefix anymore.

Thanks for the info!

• 2 years later...

There's 2 of these on the 'bay at the minute. They look idential to the early 80s Matsumoku Rivieras made famous by Oasis, albeit new-build and in a nasty blue colour. I would bet that these are genuine, and they are certainly not Supernovas.

Archived