Gibson Brands Forums

want new but cant!

rotem

hii i will very appreciate if someone have a solution, i want a new les paul standard but heard that the new 2008 standard are not the best model, so what to do? i want a standard, some one have an idea?

thanks very much regards!

The Les Paul Traditional IS a Standard. That's why it is listed as "Les Paul Standard Traditional Pro or Plus". The Traditional is what the "Standard" Les Paul used to be before the chambered body, asymmetrical neck and the locking bridge/stop bar and input jack. :) I have played both the traditional and the new "standards", and I favored and purchased the Traditional Plus. The traditional is just a little cheaper than the "standard" too!

post-27979-026011300 1308771011_thumb.jpg

The wood grades will be the same, but each guitar will vary.......look for matching pieces. I seen a Standard last time I was shopping that had a 2 piece mahogany body, one half the grain went straight towards the neck, and the other side the grain ran at a 45 degree angle.

Why do you want a Standard? I dont get it? if its because your favourite player plays one then great its now called a traditional!!! Traditional Standard! 2008 Standards dont even feel like a proper gibson to me and I am yet to find someone that actually has and likes one its all a matter of oppinion but when the oppinions out weigh then maybe we know what we're talking about?

there is a 2011 standard it has robot technology again this is all preference but i'll stick to the traditional. If you want AAA graded tops then look for R9's that is a different quest all together. then comes finding a LP that has a one peice solid back and weighs exactly 9lbs. Go to the Shop try as many as you can then pick your favourite based on feel and tone. If you dont fall in love with it at the shop dont take it home!!

thanks, i want a standard because of the name and because the grade of the wood is aaa and on the traditional is aa, but thanks for your opinion!

ok in that case for AAA top buy a custom or R9

or for just a standard buy the traditional and change the truss rod cover to a Standard. I dont like the traditional truss rod cover so i changed mine to a blank cover like the original 50's

the difference between studio's and standard historically is the binding. traditional has binding and is based on the original standards before the asymetrical neck and chambered (much much lighter) '08 standards that in a majority's oppinion is that the traditional is better and will more than likely have a higher resale value than the '08 standards if resale if also a factor

to be fair you could have a AAA top standard and a traditional and because of natural differences in production the traditional could be tonally superior in some peoples oppinion.

if it were me i would go to a good dealer and line up a bunch to try out and decide with your ears. I think i once read that only 1 or 2 les pauls out of 10 have that something special tonally I walked into my local shop plugged in a solid coloured ebony traditional and instantly fell in love with it and i wanted a burst with the best looking top i could find

hi, so why dont they call to the traditional standard and to the standard something else more modern? cause its not the old standard anymore, thanks!

Because Gibson have made a lot of stupid decisions lately and seem to think they can throw away their history. A traditional is a standard. A standard is no longer a standard. Like someone else who posted here, I don't know anyone who owns one of the new ones or wants to own one.

yeah im a lefty. which sucks when it comes to choice in guitars!! you a lefty too?

as for the differences in name, it beats me. I have the mentality that if it aint broke dont fix it. to make things even more complicated there is also a 2010 Les Paul Standard that features Robot technology, Piezo Bridge and humbucker in the bridge position and a P90 in the neck. It is chambered like the '08 standard making it lighter but has gone back to a 60's style neck as opposed to the asymetrical on the '08. I have not yet seen one up close yet. I like the idea of the Piezo but apart from that I like the traditional still

Archived