Gibson Brands Forums

Quick question re tuner grease

Gilliangirl

I'm changing the strings today and have never oiled the tuning machines. I've noticed the G and B are acting up a bit and wondered if I should dab a bit of lube on them. I think you can actually buy oil for tuning machines, can you not? Anyway, I don't have any here and I'm half-way through the stringing event so don't feel like driving 400 miles to find some. Can I safely dab a tiny bit of WD40 on them, or will this have an effect on the headstock finish (or any other problem, for that matter)? Anyone know??

Did you notice the problem while the strings were still on or after they were off? If the strings were still on, it could be a problem with your nut slots being a bit rough, rather than the tuners.

WD40 is known to loosen rusty bolts and you can use it to clean firearms. It has some fairly heavy duty cleaning additives in it. so I'd be afraid to use it on a guitar.

GG, I love WD40. But, you can't use it for key tumblers, guns and other things. It is a cleaner and protection thing. I use it to clean out my tuner gears once every 20 years or so and then squirt 3in1 liberally until I'm sure the wd40 is gone. Then I put on automatic transmission lubricant. I'll let you know in 20 years if that program works well. If you are stuck - mineral oil / baby oil is probably safe. But stay away from silicone. G'luck.

+1 on the baby oil or any type of clear oil' date=' like clipper oil. and just a very small drop, too.[/quote']

What's clipper oil? I wonder if sewing machine oil would work? I was going to pick up some 3in1 today but ended up playing Gillian Welch songs all day. Funny how that happens.

What's clipper oil? I wonder if sewing machine oil would work? I was going to pick up some 3in1 today but ended up playing Gillian Welch songs all day. Funny how that happens.

wahl's clipper oil, available at beauty supply stores for about $5, is for lubricating hair clippers and scissors. i put a couple drops on a q-tip and just touch the gear in one or two spots and turn it with the winder (string off) to work it in. thicker, darker oils seem to pick up dirt and other foreign particles. a finer oil will do the trick.

I'm changing the strings today and have never oiled the tuning machines. I've noticed the G and B are acting up a bit and wondered if I should dab a bit of lube on them. I think you can actually buy oil for tuning machines' date=' can you not? Anyway, I don't have any here and I'm half-way through the stringing event so don't feel like driving 400 miles to find some. Can I safely dab a tiny bit of WD40 on them, or will this have an effect on the headstock finish (or any other problem, for that matter)? Anyone know??[/quote']

WD-40 is a bit thin. It could find it's way under the finish and stain the wood underneath. It will work for a couple hours to, maybe, a day. I am assuming you have open tuners. Go to the sporting goods store or sporting goods department. Get a little tube of fishing reel oil. They usually come wth a needle like applicator. It's thin enough to keep the gears meshing smoothly and thick enough it won't drip off. I have a tube that's older'n dirt. i.e. one tube might last a life time.

One drop where the worm gear meshes with the spur gear ought to do it. A dab as well at the ends of the worm. Twist the tuner so the spindle makes at least one or two complete revolutions. They should be meshing smoothly now. If not, an additional half drop should do the trick.

Closed tuners are another matter. I've never had one go wonky, but then again the only one I have is only a few years old. I'm not sure if, or how, they are servicable.

Archived