Gibson Brands Forums

Warther & Co. Bridge Pins

hardmodskin

Just wondering if anyone has used pins from this company david warther & co ?

I hear so much about Colosi pins greatness and wish I had done more research, as Colosi and Gibson seem to go hand in hand. For the record I DO love my warther & co. abalone-topped bone pins dearly, but was wondering what their reputation is in the guitarist/Gibson community?

I haven't used Warther pins, but have both Colosi (on my 000-28 EC) and Bryan England (on my 1948 J-45) bone pins, in both cases with 3mm ab dots. At least those two seem comparable in quality for both the bridge pins and the end pins. In fact, you'd be hard-pressed to tell them apart, although the Colosi end pin is a bit fatter.

Colosi also does at least the Martin pins very slightly oversize to allow you to seat them individually in the bridge to your preference. Took me about a half hour of delicate sanding to fit the pins to mimic the way the Martin factory pins sit, with about a 3/32" gap below the skirt. He warns you in advance that you will need to do this. It makes up for worn pin holes (a real problem) on older guitars.

Presumably, these are all CNC lathe cut, and if the person creating the original CAD file gets the dimensions, proportions, and tapers right--and chooses the materials properly--you would think they would be pretty similar.

Price of the Colosi and Bryan England bone pins is comparable--about $30 per set. England has an "antique white" option, which I prefer on my old J-45.

<snicker> Couldn't help but laugh at reading the site's explaination of PBE in the "Our 4 Materials" section. Otherwise, leave me out too.

Me, too...but that part of the discussion in our infamous thread at least started out on a civil footing. Geesh.

On a related note--ordered a bone nut and saddle from Mr. Colossi today. Soon, I will be in the club. :rolleyes:

Archived