Gibson Brands Forums

new riveria royale

motorman

A few months ago I ordered a Riveria Royale from Guitarcenter. After 2 or 3 months of waiting and being told it was on back order, I called them and asked if I could change my order to a Swingster Royale for the same price since they still couldn't tell me when the Riv would be in. They agreed to do the deal for 50 bucks over the Riv price, plus I had a 100 dollar coupon so I get the Swingster. Don't ya know, a couple days later they send me a notice that the Riv is now in stock and 100 dollar off coupon deal is on again for fathers day, plus my son gives me a guitarcenter gift card for fathers day. As if thats not enough luck, guitarcenter in Tampa, 20 miles from me, actually has a Riv in stock. So of course, I now have a Riveria Royale added to my collection.

Compared to the Swingster which is flawless the Riv isn't detailed quite as well. The binding doesn't go around the headstock as it does on the Swingster or around the f-holes. The f-holes are just painted and there's a few visible paint drips in the f-holes that could have been sanded off. The neck is thicker than the Swingsters, though thats not a quality issue. How does it sound? Very good. The P90's have a nice bite to them. Pictures to follow soon.

I had the op to test drive one of the Riviera p-93 Royales last week at the local GC. The neck was comfortable and it had a wide range of tones on some different tube amps and the finish and appointments looked great. My only complaint has to do with the binding,the Royal line has a very classy look but the binding has too much of a gilttery bling look to me, I was under the impression looking at pics online that it was a bit more subdued. Thats just my preference I'm sure that it suits some peoples taste. BTW Congrats on your new Royale!!!

mgm

Ha! The words, "subtile" and "subdued" don't even belong in the same sentence as these Royale series guitars ... they are glitz and glamour all the way! As you say, it is clearly a matter of taste though.

We've had the P93 and the Les Paul Royale in (and out and in again) at the store for a couple of weeks now. I haven't seen any of the other models yet ... and I'd love to get my mitts on one of the Swingsters and give her a spin.

Congrats, Motor ... the P93 is a great guitar.

Jim

I had the op to test drive one of the Riviera p-93 Royales last week at the local GC. The neck was comfortable and it had a wide range of tones on some different tube amps and the finish and appointments looked great. My only complaint has to do with the binding,the Royal line has a very classy look but the binding has too much of a gilttery bling look to me, I was under the impression looking at pics online that it was a bit more subdued. Thats just my preference I'm sure that it suits some peoples taste. BTW Congrats on your new Royale!!!

mgm

Oh your right, the Royale lines styling, is over the top glitz. But thats kinda what I like about them. I wish they would have made the fret dots in black though, because I can't see the white dots with all that glitter on the neck binding.

Archived