Gibson Brands Forums

"El Paso" - Marty Robbins

Searcy

Wow, Marty Robbins!

The first concert I ever saw was Marty Robbins when I was fifteen years old. Then I discovered rock music and faded that direction. But I remember the facility which was the Broad-moor in Colorado Springs, Co. had trouble with the sound system and were going to send everybody home. It was then that Marty Robbins came out on stage and announced that he had his acoustic guitar with him and who ever wanted to stay he would play for. He picked up the guitar and started playing and entertaining and joking with everyone in the audience. That man could sing loud with or without a guitar or sound system and entertain. That made a big impression on me. No amount of effects, backup, or lack of a sound system can upstage a musician with true talent. I don't think a single person left because...............

The show must go on and did!

I'm not a huge country fan but there are about 10 acts that I really love. He is my favorite all time country act. Mostly I dig the cowboy ballads he did so well. He was a hell of a showman but never at the expence of the song. It was all about the song with Marty.

Wow, Marty Robbins!

The first concert I ever saw was Marty Robbins when I was fifteen years old. Then I discovered rock music and faded that direction. But I remember the facility which was the Broad-moor in Colorado Springs, Co. had trouble with the sound system and were going to send everybody home. It was then that Marty Robbins came out on stage and announced that he had his acoustic guitar with him and who ever wanted to stay he would play for. He picked up the guitar and started playing and entertaining and joking with everyone in the audience. That man could sing loud with or without a guitar or sound system and entertain. That made a big impression on me. No amount of effects, backup, or lack of a sound system can upstage a musician with true talent. I don't think a single person left because...............

The show must go on and did!

This sounds almost like a movie scene in "Pure Country".

The great ones don't need all the "fluff", just them and a guitar is as good as it gets.

• 4 weeks later...

I guess one reason I'm not into a lot of pedal stuff is that I think "young" bands and performers should be able to do the "unplugged" and "clean" first, then get heavy. That's the route I went personally nearly 50 years ago and I still think it's best. OTOH, I must admit that "fancy" is always a horrible temptation that even old guys <grin> find quite difficult to evade.

m

Archived