Gibson Brands Forums

older es335

gchristos

Well according to http://www.guitardaterproject.org "Your guitar was made at the Kalamazoo Plant' date=' USA approximately in: 1967"[/quote']

My published reference materials also come up 1967 for that serial number. As far as value, your best bet it to find out what similar guitars are ACTUALLY selling for. "Blue Books" and even (or especially) "professional" appraisals do not really reflect the reality of the "real world" guitar market.

You really shouldn't tease us about this '67 335 without pics. Let's see some photos.

an old ES335 has come to my possecion any ideas on how I can get more info on it's vintage and value?

the photo on the avatar is the guitar.

It has di marzio pick ups, schaller keys, and new knobs and wiring. The finish is "cracked" I guess due to weather conditions.

Crazing in the lacquer is not really much of an issue since it's to be expected from a guitar of that age. Not being "all original" however drastically affects the condition as it would be viewed by collectors. Nice looking though. Get us some more pictures! (by the way I prefer photobucket.com for hosting pictures for web forums).

Great guitar! I don't have any experience with Di Marzio pickups, but I can say that the stock pickups in the late 60's were wonderful. I have a stock '67 ES-335 and it has a really sweet, articulate and responsive tone. Still, I wouldn't be surprised if your guitar sounds good too.

never mind all that' date=' how come no-one has asked the obvious question ... how does a 67 335 'come into ones possession'???[/quote']

Haha. I took it another way: "officer, I swear I don't know how that crack in the glove compartment came into my possession. Musta been the hitch-hiker I let out just before you pulled me over."

Tomorrow, if all goes well, a blond 335 RI will "come into my possession" but it'll take the exchange of a bunch of my cash to pull it off.

Hehe, you guys must be very good at ..improvising, judging from your comments.. Actually the guitar was given to me by an old friend who at that time worked in a music shop in Chicago. I think it was called Giannini's and it was either Montrose or Irving Park Road. I am pretty sure that this shop does not exist anymore.

Anyway, the guitar didn't have pick ups or wiring and the original tuning keys were slipping. I had the dimarzio's installed with new wiring and knobs. Also changed the tuning keys, after (didn't know any better to keep the originals, on the side..). I then moved to Europe.

Since that time about 28 years have passed.

Perhaps, "has come to my possecion" is bit misleading, but again time is a relative term, no?

I think the tuner swap would've gone unnoticed if you used kidney bean Grovers instead of the square sided Schallers, since it seems that everybody made that modification to their guitars back in the day. I still hear stories of guys chasing down the original tuners to restore a vintage Les Paul or the like. Then again if you're like most of us who would rather play a guitar than appraise it, well then you've got yourself a very very nice guitar there.

On a previous post somebody mentioned and posted a website to check out your S/N of your Gibson. I checked my ES 345 which I purchased new in 76, and it said it was made in 63 or 67'. That can't be the case. My ES 345 has a volute (the bulge on the back of the headstock) which wasn't even introduced until 1970, so that information may not always be correct.

Hehe' date=' you guys must be very good at ..improvising, judging from your comments.. Actually the guitar was given to me by an old friend who at that time worked in a music shop in Chicago. I think it was called Giannini's and it was either Montrose or Irving Park Road. I am pretty sure that this shop does not exist anymore.

Anyway, the guitar didn't have pick ups or wiring and the original tuning keys were slipping. I had the dimarzio's installed with new wiring and knobs. Also changed the tuning keys, after (didn't know any better to keep the originals, on the side..). I then moved to Europe.

Since that time about 28 years have passed.

Perhaps, "has come to my possecion" is bit misleading, but again time is a relative term, no?[/quote']

That's quite a friend!! About a year ago I sold my 1967 "Burgundy Metallic" 335 for $4850. It had the original tuners and Fender-amp knobs, pickups etc.

never mind all that' date=' how come no-one has asked the obvious question ... how does a 67 335 'come into ones possession'???

:-)

I clearly need a better class of friend or family as no-one is gifting me a classic like that![/quote']

Heh, My 10th anniversary present was this '67...pictured here with the li'l woman.+:-@

ck.jpg

Archived