Gibson Brands Forums

Barbecue

Californiaman

Guest Farnsbarns Wunterslausche

Free Range Ostrich harvested the humane way, marinated in all natural marinade..........[thumbup] ...

My favorite meat in the world, that and springbok billtong (lovely cooked)

Here in the St. Louis area one of the main BBQ'd meats is Pork Steaks. The cut of meat is not even available off the shelf in most parts of the country, and I dont' have any idea exactly what the cut is. But if any of you have had a Midwest BBQ Pork Steak, covered in St. Louis or Kansas City style BBQ sauce, you would remember it.

A friend of mine came up from Miami and I threw a bunch on the grill. The minute he got home he had his local butcher figure out the cut. So there is one butcher shop in Miami where you can get Pork Steaks.

It's the blade steak here on the east coast, we just don't know it by the name Pork Steak. Boston is the shoulder Roast, blade is the steak from that piece. Juicy, good for cookin ANY pork recipe!

rct

What's on the grill? I think the question should be what's not on the grill? As much as I love meats on the grill (burgers, dogs, wurst, salmon, tuna, marinated skirt stake, shrimps, cephalopods, kalbi, buffalo, etc), vegetables and their friends are a must too: asparagus, corn, peppers, onions, etc. Got a basket last year so I can do some of the smaller items and not worry about losing them to the fire gods.

Californiaman - Have to tell you that I like your style, brother. I am a charcoal guy because that is mainly what I can get in the city, but when I get out to the parks or go camping NOTHING beats hardwood.

You mean there are things you can't cook on a grill?

I cooked a Peach cobbler Sunday afternoon, along with Ribeye steaks and Shrimp kabobs and baked potatoes. The only thing that wasn't cooked on the grill for that meal was the ice cold beer!

Here in the St. Louis area one of the main BBQ'd meats is Pork Steaks. The cut of meat is not even available off the shelf in most parts of the country, and I dont' have any idea exactly what the cut is. But if any of you have had a Midwest BBQ Pork Steak, covered in St. Louis or Kansas City style BBQ sauce, you would remember it.

A friend of mine came up from Miami and I threw a bunch on the grill. The minute he got home he had his local butcher figure out the cut. So there is one butcher shop in Miami where you can get Pork Steaks.

+1 on the Pork Steaks, which is usually Pork Butt sliced into steaks. Another favorite is St. Louis Style Pork Spare Ribs including the tips. And another +1 for St. Louis or KC Style BBQ Sauce, usually Maull's.

I love pork too!

We get some great deals on pork tri-tip, cushion and chops to die for. I'm talking two-inch-thick pork chops slow cooked over some smokey red oak and drenched in barbecue sauce or my favorite dry rub.

And when it comes to vegetables on the grill you can't beat blue cheese stuffed jalapenos rapped in bacon or asparagus rapped bacon. They're both great appetizers.

Sounds dumb I know, and it has Rachel Ray all over it, but seriously, Tater Tots wrapped in Bacon, toothpick through, stick em on the grill a bit, ten minutes maybe. Three tots to a slicea Oscar usually. Yer grill will be like a meth lab with toothless hicks lining up for hours to get more. Seriously.

rct

It's summer and I live in Phoenix so everything goes on the grill pretty much year round here but especially in the summer when you don't want to heat up the house. Tonight it's large Scallops, fresh corn on the cob and a couple of large red onions just sliced in half and brushed with a spiced virgin olive oil.

In a heavy plastic bag I put about a cup of melted butter,1/3 cup brown sugar,1 tsp. allspice,1 tsp.cinnamon, 1 tsp nutmeg,3 oz. dark rum.Then I take freshly cored pineapple slices and marinade them for about an hour in the mixture and grille on medium heat coals for about 8 min. to a side.You can vary the spices to taste if you like.

Shark steaks done with a good seafood rub are also great -or should I say grate ?-on a barbeque.Sometimes shark can have a strong ammonia taste this is because of the high amount of urea in the blood.This can be remedied by soaking the steaks in a pie plate filled with milk for about an hour.

Tri-tip and bratwurst cooked over red oak.

Hungry?

I also barbecued some fresh corn on the cob. Love that stuff.

101_0836.jpg

Grilled up some Mahi Mahi over the weekend with a side of Eggplant cubed and sauteed in olive oil with onions & garlic... Mmmm Mmmm Mmmm [drool]

Funny Californiaman but I grilled tri-tip as well as pork butt (shoulder, aka port tri tip) and grilled corn just night before last. We brown the meat first in butter then season with a garlic seasoning from Gilroy, some flaked salt then grill to 135 degrees in the center. My mouth is watering all over again.

Archived