Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SJ 100

alexthegreat404

Hello everybody!

Im new here and am proud to say I recently purchased my first Gibson guitar. Im 19 and have been playing for about 6 years.

I love Fender and was thrilled when I got my Stratocaster (which Ill never give up =P), but still, I yearned for a Gibson for years. Gibson acoustics were always the apple of my eye for their unique tone and beautiful looks. Back in high school, I'd spend hours looking on guitar center and musician friend's websites. One particular model I always looked at was the SJ- 100. Cheaper and more basic than the legendary J 200, but it still maintained that great Jumbo tone. I never got to play one as local stores by me never had one (that I saw).

Finally, after years of wanting a Gibson acoustic I saw a local add on craigslist for a 2000 SJ 100. The seller listed it at around 1000. I knew it was more than i could spend but after negotiation, I got the price down to 800. I know I'm supposed to be using every penny i make at work for college but I couldn't resist. After seeing it (mint condition) and from the first minute I played it, I knew I had to have it. I bought it on the spot and couldn't be happier. It has a tone and feel like I've never felt. Needless to say, buying that guitar you've always wanted is a nice feeling.

Somewhere down the line in the past few years, I've noticed the model has been removed from Gibson's site, along with other music store's stock. I know the original J 100's from the 30s on the most revered and thought of, but what do you guys think of the SJ 100s from say 2000- 2007ish (or whenever they were discontinued)? Anyone else own one or played one, did I get a good deal? or know why it was discontinued again?

Sorry for such an essay... I'm just quite thrilled with it! Can't believe I finally have one.

Congratulations on your SJ100 and welcome to the forum! I played one today at my fav guitar shop and it is an amazing instrument. I like its understated appointments... much like on the SWD.

I know how difficult it is to save for college and yet still really NEED a guitar. You will no doubt find yourself in tight financial situations while you're going through school but don't ever think of selling that guitar! It will be special for you for the rest of your life. I sold my first Gibson (Hummingbird) to pay the rent when times were tough. The next month the rent was due and it was paid ... somehow. But I was without that Gibson forever and without a guitar for a couple of years! It was a full 23 years before I had another Gibson acoustic.

Some guitars are meant to stay in your hands forever.

Congratulations on your SJ100 and welcome to the forum! I played one today at my fav guitar shop and it is an amazing instrument. I like its understated appointments... much like on the SWD.

I know how difficult it is to save for college and yet still really NEED a guitar. You will no doubt find yourself in tight financial situations while you're going through school but don't ever think of selling that guitar! It will be special for you for the rest of your life. I sold my first Gibson (Hummingbird) to pay the rent when times were tough. The next month the rent was due and it was paid ... somehow. But I was without that Gibson forever and without a guitar for a couple of years! It was a full 23 years before I had another Gibson acoustic.

Some guitars are meant to stay in your hands forever.

thank you, sir! my new Gibson and my Stat are the two things Ill always have with me =)

sorry about your Hummingbird though =/ hope it at least found a good home.

• 9 years later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/6/2021 at 8:22 AM, pawlowski6132 said:

I just read this whole thread and there isn't an answer. Why is this such a freakin' mystery?

On 1/6/2021 at 1:07 PM, j45nick said:

It's Gibson.

'Nuf said.

LOL

I am the OP! I was playing the SJ 100 today and thought I'd look up this old thread for the hell of it. It is for sure a 2007, and this model was made from around '06-'08. Looking back, the guy I scored it from was pretty shady. He made up his history with it, so I wonder if it was stolen or something.

Oh well, I've had it for almost 10 years now and made this thread almost 10 years ago. Crazy! Now it has a bit of a center seam crack (its had it for like five years now) but it doesn't effect the sound or anything. I might get it glued back, but it doesn't bug me much. Adds character. It sounds great, and when it is humidified, it plays great. All these years later, it is a keeper. Glad I didn't use that money for boring, "life" stuff!

23 minutes ago, ZosoRose said:

LOL

I am the OP! I was playing the SJ 100 today and thought I'd look up this old thread for the hell of it. It is for sure a 2007, and this model was made from around '06-'08. Looking back, the guy I scored it from was pretty shady. He made up his history with it, so I wonder if it was stolen or something.

Oh well, I've had it for almost 10 years now and made this thread almost 10 years ago. Crazy! Now it has a bit of a center seam crack (its had it for like five years now) but it doesn't effect the sound or anything. I might get it glued back, but it doesn't bug me much. Adds character. It sounds great, and when it is humidified, it plays great. All these years later, it is a keeper. Glad I didn't use that money for boring, "life" stuff!

I'm glad it was a keeper!