Gibson Brands Forums

Best Buy

Enmitygauged

• 2 weeks later...

You do know some people really don't like discussing how much they pay for this guitars, right? If you ask me, a place like that would be an insult. But that's just me. [flapper]

Thats because you guys get your guitars at about a 3rd the price we do. From my side of the coin if I can find out that Americans can get a LP studio 60's reissue for 899 when in Australia it costs 1600 and I might be able to get it for 1400. I am better off going to the dealer and saying I can get it sent across cheaper than you can sell it so what can you do. Without that knowledge I am just getting ripped off. BTW our Dollar is better than Americas so an 899 guitar in Australia should be 835.00. So why am i paying double? I paid 6900.00 for my beale st blue ES335 here. After I found this forum I saw that I could have got it for around 2900.00. I paid 4200.00 for my gibson songwriter, in America anywhere from 1900-2300. Because of this forum I paid 3100.00 for my LP Standard. down from 4800 retail.

Thats how a brotherhood of musicians can help each other.

• 2 weeks later...

Thats because you guys get your guitars at about a 3rd the price we do. From my side of the coin if I can find out that Americans can get a LP studio 60's reissue for 899 when in Australia it costs 1600 and I might be able to get it for 1400. I am better off going to the dealer and saying I can get it sent across cheaper than you can sell it so what can you do. Without that knowledge I am just getting ripped off. BTW our Dollar is better than Americas so an 899 guitar in Australia should be 835.00. So why am i paying double? I paid 6900.00 for my beale st blue ES335 here. After I found this forum I saw that I could have got it for around 2900.00. I paid 4200.00 for my gibson songwriter, in America anywhere from 1900-2300. Because of this forum I paid 3100.00 for my LP Standard. down from 4800 retail.

Your best bet is probably to start a thread in a specific forum, explaining your problem and asking people if they would post what they paid (or should have paid) for a specific instrument. They might be willing to tell you in an email or message even if they won't post it. A lot of people probably won't respond, but enough may for you to get a good idea. For used instruments, watching ebay auctions is always a good way to judge the value of even late-model guitars.

I personally have never bought a brand-new guitar from a store or website. I have bought several newer (say, 2007 or later) guitars online. A lot of US ebay sellers won't ship overseas, of course. As an ebay example, I bought a flawless, six month old cherry '59 Historic ES 335 (Nashville built, not Memphis) for $3750 US. A dealer (non-Gibson, so no warranty) had the identical guitar (except sunburst) in his store (both online and brick-and-mortar) for $1000 more. He offered to negotiate, but I never thought I could get close to a rational price, so I declined.

Unfortunately, when it comes to buying new from a US dealer, you don't know what they will accept until you go in and haggle. They are less likely to be willing to negotiate on a guitar that has been in stock for a week than one that has been sitting around gathering dust for six months.

• 7 months later...

Is there anyway of getting a Topic area that we as members can put up the prices of guitars we bought. I think it would help other member's to know what they may be able to get for their money?

It is a good thought. I often check the internet for guitar blue book prices, or previously sold on ebay for used and vintage. I guess a lot of it depends on condition really and what it's worth to you. As far as buying new, music stores always have a fairly high mark up price. Some of the smaller stores will work with you on prices.

I'm new here, but wanted to add my opinion. I think it would be very valuable to have a thread where folks can post prices they have paid. Why would anyone not want to discuss it? That just makes no sense to me at all. Hell...if someone asked how much you paid for your car, you.d most likely tell them.

We all know there are folks who get some killer deals sometimes. Bought off craigslist, or from a friend, or family member. We all realize you'd have to throw those prices out. But being able to see what folksare paying and where would allow those folks the same opportunity. Seems fair to me.

Several years ago there was a thread from someone in South America who tried to do this and it turned out that the import/export taxes are a big item where he lived-in fact it squashed the deal. This may or may not grossly effect the price you pay in Australia,check it out.

Thats because you guys get your guitars at about a 3rd the price we do.

Then you can blame that on the taxes imposed by the Australian government. Yes, American made guitars are far cheaper in America, but what can you do about it? I know a few people who have paid for a trip to America, bought the guitar they wanted and brought it back past customs without declaring it for less than the cost of buying it where they are. Illegal? Yes. Immoral? That depends on your perspective.

One guy I know, goes to america several times a year and buys telecasters. He has a room full of them. Then he'll just sit in his hotel room with a screwdriver and take it to pieces. He declares it as replacement parts and doesn't have to pay anything. Mind you, that was a few years ago, so I'm not sure he could get away with it now.

I've also had a friend suggest that you make a big scratch on the back of the guitar so it can't be sold as "new". Therefore it will be classed as second hand goods and may not have to pay tax on it. Whether it works or not, I have no idea. I don't recommend anyone try any of these measures as I'm pretty sure they're illegal.

Edit: Getting back to the subject at hand, shipping costs and taxes imposed by governments are the reason for the price hike. There's not really much you can do to get around it. My suggestion is that instead of buying a specific guitar, play the second hand market and save some money? Don't want to buy second hand, then you'll just have to deal with the price hike like everyone else all over the world has to. I can remember the time when 1gbp was worth more than 2usd, but the actual cost of a Les Paul was around the same number.

• 2 weeks later...

yeah, price discussion can be tricky. i always thought then when i find the right j45 for me, money would be no object. but then i found her, new, and low and behold...i haven't bought it yet because it would bankrupt me. so, my wait continues, and i continue to save. another day another dollar. when i find the right one, and the right price, it should be the easiest decision i'll ever make.

-Southrodney

Personally, I don't think it's a big deal to discuss prices paid for guitars, but many other people are touchy about that subject.

I'm only touchy when people ask my age. Wait a minute I don't really care about that either!

If I get a good deal I'm pretty proud of my purchases! (thank god for CList!)

• 1 month later...

Just start a thread in the relevent section. Use the Lounge for off brands.

Oh, and buy flame proof undies for the hot heads!

For the record, I paid a little over 2 grand for the 2007 Standard in my avatar... and felt like I got a hella deal.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived