Gibson Brands Forums

New ES 335 owner

funkyguitarman

Hey everyone this is my first post and first but not last ES 335. I bought it the other day from Sam Ash here in San Antonio since they became a full authorized Gibson dealer. This guitar has the date 9/15/08 so I know it is factory fresh. Anyway I had been on the hunt for a good 335 for only a little while after selling my Les Paul Standard. And while a LP is a great guitar I really felt that it had less than desirable playability. Initially I was shooting for a Larry Carlton Signature ES 335 but could not find one anywhere. So after making numerous phone calls to boutique stores around the US I decided to try my luck at the local stores. Sam Ash just received a large Gibson shipment and had two new 335s, a Cherry and Vintage Sunburst. I went down and really took to the burst. Mind you I have never played a 335 before and was instantly taken in by its great playability and tone. Being jazz,blues,rock, and country player I am often at odds at what guitar to choose but I think I found it in my 335. I promptly went home, got my tele, traded it and purchased the 335. From what I have read the new ones come with COA which mine came in a little leather book. I could not be happier about owning an ES335.

Congrats!

I was gassing for one bad until I got my ES-339. I'm still thinking i want one. I, too, chose the burst.

The tone in a semi hollow is totally different than a solid body to me, as an old bar gigger it's my new found love. I know, for a fact, I'll never go back to a solid guitar.

Best of luck. Man, I lived down there in 1974. I missed Jerry Jeff Walker by just a few months.

Murph.

I'd rather not brag on the ES-339 since you just bought your 335.

I've had Strats, and am about to dump my 91 Tele, that I loved 8 weeks ago.

Weird, aint' it?

I'll be all Gibson for a few years, I'm thinkin'.

Murph.

I can honestly not find anything that I don't like on my 335. I will get some pics up very shortly. All Gibson is not necessarily a bad thing. I find that by using a compressor pedal (Boss CS-3) I can get very close to a single coil type sound. It is weird how guitars have the ability to impress one instance then falter the other.

You would think that after 6 years of playing I would have discovered the magic of a ES335. The cherry one they had at Sam Ash was equally as beautiful but I did not opt to play since I was already completely enthralled with the burst. This was my first time buying a high end guitar from a retail store and was quite satisfied. All of the sales staff kept complimenting my guitar and had a very good discussion about gear and music. And while this is not my first Gibson, I feel this my first one that I have really bonded with. Out of my past Gibsons and Fenders I have owned I must say that this is the "best" guitar for me.

Very cool. I am going to pick up a used blond one from a guy Wednesday evening, for an incredible price. Then my Epi Sheraton II will go on the block and I'll have all Fender basses, all Gibson electrics (see avatar for the other one) and all Fender guitar amps.

Not a bad thing, really.

I noticed that as well. I like the "more" dark.

I own Scotty Stonemans 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin, and it barely shows any grain. It's almost all black. The burst is barely noticable.

Nice guitar.

Best of luck.

Murph.

No Tim it is not a reissue. Just a normal ES 335 from the folks in Memphis. I actually had my sights set on a Larry Carlton Signature ES 335 but could not find one anywhere. After calling quite a few boutique stores I ended up checking out my local Sam Ash and was pleasantly surprised to find this great guitar.

I noticed that as well. I like the "more" dark.

I own Scotty Stonemans 1933 Gibson A-00 Mandolin' date=' and it barely shows any grain. It's almost all black. The burst is barely noticable.

Nice guitar.

Best of luck.

Murph.[/quote']

Originally, what is now called sunburst was "cremona brown" in the Gibson catalog. It was supposed to emulate the appearance of the 17th century Cremona violins (Amati, Stradivarius, Guarani) as they aged and the varnish darkened around the purfling around the edges.

I think, too, they developed that finish to phase out the black lacquer that Orville had used, which was more difficult to handle and more prone to obvious contamination.

In 1933 they were still in that territory, but over the years the finish has evolved into the modern 'burst with the yellow center and all its variations (I once had a Ric 366/12 that was peach-into-red burst over figured sycamore).

Thanks Guys. When I went to to pick her up at Sam Ash, just about every guitar salesman came over and complimented my guitar. However it just aint all about the looks now. It sounds as good as it looks too. I just feel really blessed to have found a guitar that feels,look, and sounds great. It funny because I bought a Fender 62 reissue Strat about two weeks ago and it just sits there now cause Im too busy playing my 335. Also this forum was a tremendous help in finding that right guitar. When other players around here discussed finding a guitar that speak to you, I believe I know what they mean know. Everyones collective wisdom and knowledge really helped me make the best purchase for myself. Thanks everyones.

Archived