Gibson Brands Forums

'Bird TV in action

ParlourMan

Hmm, maybe its the rocording but if I had to be honest this HB didnt sound particularly good to my ears.

It all sounded a bit boxy and I didnt hear much depth, but as I said it could have been just the recording.

I thougth the TV that I think you posted here some time ago of this guy sounded much warmer and richer.

Btw: I hope youre not GAS'ing again for that HB TV ? [biggrin]

How was your gig on saturday, did you perform that cool Stereophonics track ?

We had a guest performer with us for our monday night gig and I took that AL SJ and ran it through a PA for first time. Great tone, much bigger and richer than I expected. Thought it was going to be more midrangey, but it was quite balanced.

Should have taken some video or pics ..

Ha, I'm always gassing EA, but no, no 'bird on the horizon. Absolutely love the Woody, genuinely getting happier and happier by the day with it, it's excellent. I think any further addition would be more likely to be a J200 as that is a whole different spec from what I have.

As for the gig,. yeah we did the stereophonics track, the place we were in was small, it was really crowded with about 80-85 people, so you'll know how small a bar that is. We played about 10 songs to finish off what had earlier been an open mic night. It was good fun. I seen a couple of iphone videos which were too jittery and with the crowd singing along so nothing with any great clarity as yet. A mate took a hand-held digital recorder with him so I'm hoping to hear that this week for anything that can be lifted off it and uploaded, again, depends on the quality of the recording....

The place was so small though I never even took a line-out to the PA, just directly from the amp, the other guy used the PA though. The woody sounds incredible, big bulging bass & mid tones and still enough upper-cut to hear the chimes too. It was actually the first time I'd played with this guy besides two rehearsals the week leading up to it, so I was more of a guest musician/backup/nerve settler, but he's a confident enough guy so we managed to gel pretty quick. For a show with about 4-5 hours total rehearsal time my other muso mates thought it was pretty tight.

We even threw in a couple of comedy tunes in the form of tracks from 'Flight of the conchords', I'm not sure if you've seen the show? shrewd move, it went down a storm, we played "most beautiful girl in the... room", we were asked to do the next night again which is in a few weeks, so will add some more songs to the list of stuff we played. Hopefully I'll have some kind of evidence to post soon.

Sounds great, I actually much prefer playing the smaller pubs than the bigger bars, its much more relaxed. Would love to see some footage when you get the time. We will be playing at the hard rock cafe again in 3 weeks and Ill take both the SWD adn SJ with me. Will try to get some footage of the gig for sure.

btw: I love the way the SJ looks on stage and under lights. That gorgoous sunburst really comes through beautifully ...Im stupid for not taking a photo from the gig.

We even threw in a couple of comedy tunes in the form of tracks from 'Flight of the conchords', I'm not sure if you've seen the show? shrewd move, it went down a storm, we played "most beautiful girl in the... room", we were asked to do the next night again which is in a few weeks, so will add some more songs to the list of stuff we played. Hopefully I'll have some kind of evidence to post soon.

Haha. Baguette!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5hrUGFhsXo

Yeah, haha, that's exactly the same vid I compared it too as well. I do prefer the sound from cedric's video myself, but the kasabian one could have been recorded in a bigger/emptier room or something.

I was thinking that your ears might be wanting to hear more of a Dove sound.... 'til I listened to both...and you're right.... The Kasabian guitar sounds "empty" to me, where the Cedric guitar sounds rich and full, (albiet like a H-Bird....NOT a Dove!).

This guitar reminds me a lot of my old Ibanez Concorde, which was an 80's HB copy. It had a fundamental HB tone, but because it was all laminate it was rather coldish and lacking depth.

Good gigging guitar and looked great though. Sold it partly finance my Aaron Lewis. I think it was a wise decision.

Same guitar, different room and I'm still not sure.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HX_cEpdPAY8

I suppose nightly crowds of 10,000 and festival crowds of 150,000 will only contain so many other guitarists full of criticisms ;)

Yeah and Kylie Minogue and Lady Gaga sell out everynight...don't make em any good...sheep thought I.... [tongue]

• 1 month later...

Archived