Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro - Music Stand = Reaction

TattooLP

I know this has been discussed before, but I did a search and can't find a thing. What is the deal with leaving your LP in a music stand? My Strats and Taylor acoustic have never had any issues. Will the modern nitro react with music stand and self destruct? Do I have to place ugly looking rags over my stand to protect my LP? Why do the stores use music stands to display their LPs? Your thoughts?

I know this has been discussed before, but I did a search and can't find a thing. What is the deal with leaving your LP in a music stand? My Strats and Taylor acoustic have never had any issues. Will the modern nitro react with music stand and self destruct? Do I have to place ugly looking rags over my stand to protect my LP? Why do the stores use music stands to display their LPs? Your thoughts?There are stands that react to nitro and those that dont.Find a stand that is nitro safe.I believe hercules and ultimate brands are .I also think "on stage " brands are ok.

Some guitars are finished with nitro and some with poly. Gibson guitars are finished with nitro. Nitro finishes are very reactive to rubber, foam, soft plastic, cleaners, dyes, bug spray, deodorant, etc. The typical reaction is softening and/or discoloration of the finish, leaving a noticable blemish on the guitar. Make sure the products you use on nitro finishes are nitro safe.

Yeah I got all that. But isn't it just crazy that such a quality expensive product can't come up with a way to use an additive of some form to stabalize the nitro so us LP lovers wouldn't have to worry aboubt it?!

Yeah I got all that. But isn't it just crazy that such a quality expensive product can't come up with a way to use an additive of some form to stabalize the nitro so us LP lovers wouldn't have to worry aboubt it?!

Its just something you become aware of.I checked on line for a nitro safe stand when I bought my strat with a nitro finish.The material on stands that is nitro safe is called "velveteen" I believe. You could always switch to an Epiphone Les Paul so you wont have to worry about it. [wink]

You're right, it's been discussed before (a lot), not sure about searching. But you are well advised to take precautions. I personally have not had issues with my Gibsons and have left them in guitar stands for months at a time, but I did notice if they weren't moved regularly, they would start to get a "set" between the two. I did (years ago) have a bit of black color transfer onto the neck of one of my Fenders (from that era, not the current ones). It's really a bit of a crap shoot. Best is to use caution, and if leaving them in stands, check them and/or move them often. And yes, some do cover the rubber with cloth.

just use a cotton face flannel between the the guitar and the stand problem solved. I keep mine in cases anyways (been a big discussion on here before) 1. to avoid any accidents and 2. my musical insurance stipulates the case is to be used when the guitar is not being used.

I remember a funny buring smell once when I was in my living room. I had a guitar on a wall mounted hanger and a desk lamp pointed up to light the room. it was there for weeks an the smell started getting stronger then I finally noticed that the laquer was bubbling and buring at the closest point of the guitar to the desk lamp even with just over a meters distance

You can put rags on your stands and leave the guitars in them, just make sure you have a thick enough rag, otherwise you can still have the texture of the rag "burn in" to the nitro finish. Also, leaving the guitar in a stand without a rag is perfectly safe and fine for any short amount of time, maybe even a couple of days. It is the long term contact that will really screw up a nitro finish, like my telecaster :( I left the tele in a stand for weeks without issue, then one day it was stuck to the stand. Pulling the guitar carefully off the foam rubber pads left a slightly dull and very slight discoloration at the contact points. I think there are other variables that dictate when the nitro will be effected the most, like left in direct sunlight in a stand, and maybe temperature and humidity too. Here's the real deal though, placing a guitar in a stand when you will be soon returning to play it is safe. Storing a guitar on a stand (especially something expensive) is never a good idea. The case will always be the safest place. :)

I have both On Stange and Hercules stands and have never had an issue with either. Looking around my local Sam Ash and talking with the folks there, they use both of those for all their guitars; even the $5000 customs! The guys I've spoken with said they have never seen a problem and have some of the higher end guitars on stands for years.

Well it does make sense.

When you have something senstive and you have anything rub agaisnt it, wont it wear off? If you ask me i dont think there will ever been a guitar stand or hanger that will be safe for nitro guitars, just keep using cotton.

I have the cheapest pos guitar stand you can get... I bought it new about 7 years ago and I use it for all my guitars... that includes my les pauls and my es-137... I have not seen any affect at all on any of my guitars...

I think its a myth or the affect is so small that you need a magnifying glass to see it... which in my book would mean its a non issue...

I would add that I've been playing for a very long time, using whatever they are selling as guitar stands until they wear out and getting whatever is next, I've kept all of my guitars on stands all the time, I've never had a problem and I've never known anyone to have a problem, never seen it in person.

I think someone had it happen once to (probably) a really crappy guitar and it got to the internet and, well, you know what happens then.

rct

• 2 weeks later...

I always cover my stands with cotton material. I fitted some black cotton fabric over one of my proline stands. It looks better now. The picture is kind fo small so you might not notice. And this is not just the case with guitars. A lot of wood furniture finishes react to rubber. My parents ruined their kitchen table this way.

post-34488-099667400 1310791621_thumb.jpg

I would think the manufacturers should be aware of it and make stands that don't screw up the guitar. Otherwise the tail is wagging the dog. Maybe that is just me though.

Archived