Gibson Brands Forums

j-50 and j-45 factory pick ups. same??

hardmodskin

So many times i have been told a J-50 is essentially a natural (no Sunburst) J-45. From what i can see this is fairly accurate But i was checking out a new J-45 at a guitar shop and saw it comes with a volume control just inside the soundhole. My J-50 is equipped with a pick up as well...bit No volume control dial inside the soundhole. Is the volume control something J-45's have always had or is that a more recent development? I'm kinda bummed i don't have one..the pickup sounds great but would be nice to have more control on the guitar rather than the amp.

Nope, no volume control in '01 & '02. I've owned an '01 J50 & '01 J150, and currently own a '00 J100 extra & '02 J45 Rosewood. All use the same Fishman pickup with no onboard controls. Fishman's pre-amp boxes are terrific if you want more control (and they'll work with any pickup, including humbuckers & P90s!).

Hmm...May very well have made the improvement in recent years...

Right. There have been several pickup changes over the last ten years. (Which pickup they're using is one of the classic "subject to change without notice" specs.) But, at any given time, the same pickup is installed in the J-45 and the J-50.

-- Bob

they were installing the fishman acousti-matrix until around 2008 (no volume control), then they switched to the LR Baggs Element (with volume control). has nothing to do with model. just the standard pickup of the day.

Archived