Gibson Brands Forums

Should I trade my les paul robot??

dmraco

I was considering trading my 1st Generation Les Paul Studio for one of the 1960 tribute les paul with P-90s. The Robot is fine but less than "fantastic" as it should be. Are these re-issues (about $899 at Guitar Center) less desired? I am thinking long term value here too. thoughts? HEre is my Robot....

DSC00150.jpg

considering this:

LPST60WHCH1-Finish-Shot-jpg.aspx?KeepThis=true&TB_iframe=true&height=410&width=1000

I think the robot is the least desired Gibson right now. There have been too many complaints that the tuners stop working and other such issues regarding the electronic components of the robot models. Worst of all, it is nearly impossible to get your hands on replacement parts. Your robot studio is beautiful, and as long as everything works, it's fine. But the studio '50 reissues are simple, conventional guitars. With good care, these will be far less likely to ever give you an issue ;) Go and see if you can play one of the 50's LP Studios......see if you like the P90's. If you do, then I don't think you would be losing anything by trading. Otherwise, save up just a little cash and trade the robot towards at least a LP Studio (if you wanna stay with the Paul). The Studio deluxe models are very nice too, as are the Studio Plus models (but you will have to find these used). :D Good luck and happy guitar shopping!!!!!

I'm a robot owner - I've got a 1st gen SG Ltd. Basically a standard with the robot as well as bound headstock. Really nice. Plays great. Sounds great. Works great. But in terms of long term value I think the original run robots is where the money will be.

It doesn't sound like you're completely happy with your robot mechanisms electronic. You should spend time picking out something you really like. Something you're enthusiastic about. Something you like all the way, with no reservations. And then make the trade.

I'm a robot owner - I've got a 1st gen SG Ltd. Basically a standard with the robot as well as bound headstock. Really nice. Plays great. Sounds great. Works great. But in terms of long term value I think the original run robots is where the money will be.

It doesn't sound like you're completely happy with your robot mechanisms electronic. You should spend time picking out something you really like. Something you're enthusiastic about. Something you like all the way, with no reservations. And then make the trade.

not really dis-satisfied with the electronics, just not using it as much as I thought I would. Other than that the guitar is fine. I guess I am just have some GAS and looking thru my current equipment. The BFG Gator also caught my eye but I think that style will soon be forgotten. If I were to trade, the goldtop is also an option.

Go play one and see if it feels different encough to want to change.

I'm guessing your you're going to Guitar Center? You can call first

and tell them what you have and they'll ballpark a $$$ value so you

decide if it's worth the beating you'll take. They have to make money,

so expect 60% or so of what they think it will sell for. If you get a

discount on the other one, then it'll probably make sense.

I don't think either the robot or the tribute will be worth anything special down the road. They are both studio's and basic models. The tributes are loosing value as Gibson continues to bring out similar models. Your robot has a very nice top, kind of looks like a studio flood model. The robot can always be used as a regular tuning guitar so if it does go bad it can still be used as is without mods or you could change out the electronics and tuners (possible sell them for parts) and you would have a basic studio with a nice top, so I wouldn't trade for a studio. You can always swap pickup for some P94's. I have 2 Robots (limited editions) and a 50's tribute and like the Robots better.

I would keep the robot, it's a beautiful guitar. If you decide to sell the robot, get a trade in value from GC and then add 40% to the price then sell your guitar on Craigslist or Ebay. This will give you a starting price you can negotiate with when selling. You will know your bottom line. GC is in business to make money so they have to buy used items at what they feel they can make money at reselling.

Kenny V

• 1 month later...

Archived