Gibson Brands Forums

Glen Campbell diagnosed with Alzheimers

Gilliangirl

I always watched his show. He would get some great performers every week.

I knew of Glen Campbell before he was "Glen Campbel the star"

Two of the first guitar related albums I bought was sometime around 1962- 63, they were

both 12 string guitar instrumental records by the Folkswingers and Glen himself was the main guitar player.

He was by far, my first real influence with guitar playing.

I believe they did 2-3 of these albums.I still have both of the number 1 and 2 records.

Glen is one hell of a guitar player !

So sorry to hear of his diagnosis.

Man, that's sad. Horrible disease to be faced with....

I LOVED the Glen Campbell show! Glen is a heck of a picker. I was a HUGE fan of John Hartford and really loved when he got to cut loose on the show. RIP John.

I always recall Glen with an Ovation...something I have never reconciled in my little melon. Lord how I dislike Ovations....

Very sad, indeed. He had it all: flatpicking, fingerpicking, and creativity. I should have paid more attention when I was younger. Hard rock ruled the day and, regrettably, it took a while to figure out that it was guys like Glenn who were picking those leads long before Page, Clapton, et al came along. Saw him once in Paradise Valley, AZ, my home turf, driving his white Rolls Royce Corniche, top down, smiling that genuine "light up your face" smile and waving to his admirers. Wished I had caught him in concert. At least, we don't fall into Joni Mitchell's "...you don't know what you got, till it's gone," category. We know, and appreciate him for his contribution to quality music. Best Wishes, Glenn.

I'd catch his show occasionally, but was much more into blues oriented music. Still, he certainly is well respected as a guitar player. As for those Ovations, they never worked for me either! Hope Glen's current situation plays out with ease & dignity.

Amen on Ovations...lol...I know they can make some sweet guitars, but the rounded belly is something I can't get used to........But, Glen Campbell can make a rubber band sound great. Aside from folks like us, many don't know the role Campbell has played in the history of country, R&R, Blues, Folk. Before he became a household name, he played guitar for literally everyone who was anyone. And he was a Beach Boy for a while too.

Some memories....enjoy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uexpSuwYQtk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yYa1NJ7BuA

Yeah, I watched the Glenn Campbell Show. As I recall, it shared a slot with the Smother Brothers (might have been their summer replacement). Both shows were pretty ground-breaking in having concert segments in which performers (and some really great ones, at that) would do sort of mini-concerts, rather than the usual one-song-and-off format.Glenn and John Hartford were great to watch together. Glenn had amazing chops back in the day and I suspect he still has. I wish him well and hope (and suspect) that he has a good support system around him.

Archived