Gibson Brands Forums

Fret buzz?

Leasey

Okay so I picked up my Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute today, new in store.

Everything is perfect, aside from some string buzz on the top three strings.

Is this something I can fix myself, or do I have to take it down to the local tech and get him to fix it?

Hi and welcome...

It all depends on your level of experience and expectations

Fret buzz is a function of how hard a string is picked, and height of string above frets

Each player will have their own preference and may have several guitars with different set-up and fret-buzz parameters

Also, a new guitar will take some time to settle in...even the temp/humidity can have a bearing

V

:-({|=

Yeah I figured the buzz is due to my picking, but I might needa get it fixed up.

Also I'm going to have to get the nut filed because my high e isn't ringing for as long as the others, which shouldn't be happening..

Not giving the same tone or volume either.

Least when I get it fixed, she'll be singing like a goddess.

Yea, have someone with experience look at the nut. It may need to be slightly filed to open up the E slot a little, or have the break angle tweaked. Otherwise, you COULD loosen the truss rod nut by about a 1/8 to 1/4 turn, and it may give enough relief to stop the buzz. Or try raising the bridge by turning the thumbscrews (loosen the strings first) counter-clockwise. Just go slow and tune to pitch after every minor adjustment and play it to check it's feel and see if you can live with the new setup.

If the buzz is only heard when not plugged into an amp, don't worry about it. If the buzz is only on the first three frets then I would not touch the bridge adjustment but would loosen the Truss rod nut as suggested in another response.

Let the guitar settle in to your environment before tweaking it. Give it at least a few days.

the store should have done a set up for you.

all the above suggestions are great. truss rod adjustment for buzz for top E have a look at the saddle and the nut see if there are any loose parts or excess material from where the slots where cut. check the action for the top E too to see if the string vibration is being reduced by frets (similar to buzzing but not so obvious on the top E)

try changing the top E too see if a new string has the same problem would be a good starting point.

also since picking up from the shop have you changed the string guage?

the store should have done a set up for you.

all the above suggestions are great. truss rod adjustment for buzz for top E have a look at the saddle and the nut see if there are any loose parts or excess material from where the slots where cut. check the action for the top E too to see if the string vibration is being reduced by frets (similar to buzzing but not so obvious on the top E)

try changing the top E too see if a new string has the same problem would be a good starting point.

also since picking up from the shop have you changed the string guage?

Have not changed anything, I'm taking it down next week to get it set up and some fresh strings whacked on :)

Have not changed anything, I'm taking it down next week to get it set up and some fresh strings whacked on :)

yeah in that case the shop didnt set it up correctly so when you take it all should be corrected

Archived