Gibson Brands Forums

Calling all Roy Orbison fans! LG-2

tvguit

3ne3m93ob5V65O45U5b6od06fb04572481f64.jpg

3ka3m23pd5Y25U35X1b6o7676d3f0da141380.jpg

I found this guitar for sale and the owner says that it was owned by Roy. But why would Roy sign his own guitar? I'm a skeptic. Maybe you guys could shed some light on it.

My vote goes to it's a guitar Roy autographed at some point.

I saw a couple guitars at Gruhn's once that had been bought and signed by Chet Atkins to give to someone as an appreciation gift. At least that was the story I was told. They were his in the sense that he owned them before signing and giving them away. They were not his in the sense that he owned and played them for any length of time. Same could be true here, but without any documentation it could be either just an autograph or even a counterfeit. I'm not an Orbison expert, but I don't recall seeing him playing an LG-2 with any frequency, if ever. To me personally, having a guitar previously owned or signed by a celebratory would not add a bit of value to it, but I suppose others may find it appealing. (Anyone remember the Seinfeld episode where George thinks he has bought Jon Voigt's car?)

To me personally, having a guitar previously owned or signed by a celebratory would not add a bit of value to it, but I suppose others may find it appealing.

My feelings exactly. Roy was the best but having a guitar with his name on it doesn't transfer any of his talent to the new owner. I respect people who like collecting this sort of thing but it's not my cup of tea.

Archived