Gibson Brands Forums

Stringing Question

dsh27

I've strung my Zt3 twice so far and everything goes smoothly until I get to the high E string. I am using GHS calibrated strings made specifically for trans-trem. Both times I've strung the guitar I've spent about 3 minutes changing the other 5 strings and about 20-30 minutes stringing the high E. Any advice? I've never had this problem on my GM with trans trem. The high E string just doesn't want to fit on the Zt3! Thanks!

DSH

I've strung my Zt3 twice so far and everything goes smoothly until I get to the high E string. I am using GHS calibrated strings made specifically for trans-trem. Both times I've strung the guitar I've spent about 3 minutes changing the other 5 strings and about 20-30 minutes stringing the high E. Any advice? I've never had this problem on my GM with trans trem. The high E string just doesn't want to fit on the Zt3! Thanks!

DSH

First lock the bridge in lowest position before changing strings(As recomended).

Problem done.

That's what I have been doing. Still, it takes me a good 20 minutes to "work" it in there. Maybe I need to add some lube!!! Just kidding. The E string jaw just won't come out far enough for me to put it in there without struggling. I've only changed the strings on this thing twice so hopefully I'll get better. I have changed the strings on my other trans trem steinberger for 20 years now with no problems. I've been using the same calibrated strings too.

Any other suggestions? Thanks for your input!

dsh27

okay, you low the position of E string and you loose the strings, till here sure you've done right.

Then the first socket to put the first ball will be the headpiece and then the bridge.

If you do those things well we go to the most specialized aspects.

Depending the height of the black pieces were you attach the string balls (in th e bridge)-the ones that you use to stabilize the tune different to E - can give you more difficulties when restringing.

If it is what I think the problem, that it's hard to stabilize the black piece, use whatever thing (chopsticks (stupid example but you understand)) and put the piece in the wished position, attach the ball in the blackpiece and with a hand grab the black piece pressuring the ball inside so it doesn't come out and with the other tune the string to the point that the tension won't let go the ball.

I wish I solved your problem

Archived