Gibson Brands Forums

Female vocals..

BoyVader

Martinh...

I dunno. I come back to my question whether the destructive behaviors came after a degree of "success" or afterward.

When I was a teen getting into rock, it seems a lotta the guys were pretty "straight" until they started to make it. Then they adopted the destructive lifestyle and sometimes creative work ensued and sometimes they just couldn't keep working with various chemical and behavioral exemplifications of "the artist" as they perceived it.

So... I really dunno.

One that really got to me was the exceptionally talented kid who may have inhaled some tetrahydrocannabinol but basically died before age 30 because he was a diabetic and refused to care for it. Call it "denial" if you will, but he's just as dead. Another that got to me in an exceptionally high-stress academic high school was the kid who ripped off his Mom's diet pills that were very strong uppers. After about four days of it prior to term exams, he wrote his name a thousand times or more instead of answers to exam questions and never was right through graduation...

m

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandy

+1 on Sandy Denny, Matt, and of course that is her most awesome song. (What is that astonishing version? Not heard it before. Sounds like her recording with the Strawbs, but more heavily effected and slowed right down...) But for quality of delivery I like this track even more. She almost sings it like a stand-up, and the story is very funny if you like black humour...

And while we're on English folk, I'll put in a vote for South Yorkshire and Kate Rusby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLM0azB0H0

And Vader, I defy you not to like Nina Simone.

Four Women

+1 on Sandy Denny, Matt, and of course that is her most awesome song. (What is that astonishing version? Not heard it before. Sounds like her recording with the Strawbs, but more heavily effected and slowed right down...) But for quality of delivery I like this track even more. She almost sings it like a stand-up, and the story is very funny if you like black humour...

And while we're on English folk, I'll put in a vote for South Yorkshire and Kate Rusby.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nLM0azB0H0

And Vader, I defy you not to like Nina Simone.

Four Women

I have never heard of Kate Rusby and I like it; cheers! You wont believe this but I was accompanying my wife singing Matty Groves two weeks ago at our guitar society open mic. My wife loves that song.

I know this is a bias choice as she is my wife but if you like folk music here is Suzanne.

Crazy Man Michael (Richard Thompson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZuKW2oAF0&feature=channel_video_title

I have never heard of Kate Rusby and I like it; cheers! You wont believe this but I was accompanying my wife singing Matty Groves two weeks ago at our guitar society open mic. My wife loves that song.

I know this is a bias choice as she is my wife but if you like folk music here is Suzanne.

Crazy Man Michael (Richard Thompson)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5ZuKW2oAF0&feature=channel_video_title

Thanks for that (and the amusing round that follows). Suzanne has a lovely voice indeed. Presumably the guitar on the Richard Thompson song is you? Oh, and does your version of Matty Groves extend to 8 minutes as well?!

Thanks for all the suggestions guy's...I'm checking a few out...but not Heart!!! [biggrin]

Listen to Mistral Wind damn it! All the way through!

If it doesn't make the hair on your arms stand up then get some Q Tips, insert in ears and remove potatoes ( if it pokes all the way through then way may have found your problem) .... or make sure you haven't burned all the hair off your arm... [biggrin][flapper]

Archived