Gibson Brands Forums

forward shifted bracing

AJ Ray

do all gibson acoustics have forward shifted bracing???

No.

I thought it was just the AJ

Also no. For example, the J-45 TV (among various other models) has forward-shifted bracing.

-- Bob R

hey Bob how does forward shifted bracing enhance the tone ?

The idea of shifting the bracing forward is that it is one way of leaving more of the lower bout free to vibrate (all else being equal). So it makes sense that people hear the result as more open or broken-in, often with enhanced bass. That appeals to a lot of folks, but not all. Shifted the bracing toward the rear tends to result in what people describe as a more "modern" tone, with enhanced treble overtones in particular.

Personally, I'm hesitant to generalize about such effects. There's no doubt that it makes a difference, but whether the difference is an "enhancement" depends on the guitar and your ears. Plus, there has to be a caveat about "all things being equal". For instance, when the J-45 replaced the J-35 in 1942, the bracing was shifted forward and the X was opened quite a bit (from just 94° on the J-35 to an AJ-like 102° on the J-45, IIRC). But I think that the difference in tone between the two has much more to do with brace profiles -- and other factors -- than brace positions.

-- Bob R

I am guessing there is not as much difference in sound between guitars with and without forward shifted bracing then there once was. I am also guessing there are far less repairs being done to guitars with forward shifted bracing than there once was due to bridge issues.

The forward shifted bracing Gibson, Martin, Santa Cruz, Baden and others are using though ain't the same that came in grandaddy's guitar. Shifting the bracing forward reduces the stiffness around the bridge allowing more energy to be transferred to the bridge which is why the guitars have the reputation for being loud with in particualr alot of bass response. The style of bracing also leaves the bridge with less support which is probably why Gibson stopped using the system in the first place. These days, while Gibson and others have returned to the forward shifted bracing, they also throw in some modifications such as thicker bridge plates, taller braces, less scalloping and other things to avoid any possible warranty issues.

Archived