Gibson Brands Forums

Gillian Welch......

Gilliangirl

I picked up the new CD a couple days ago...what a great collection of songs. I just love listening to these two sing and play together.

And to top it off I found out the their tour is coming through Raleigh in a couple weeks. Our local art museum hosts a summer concert series in their outdoor amphitheater. Its a great venue and my wife and I already had a handful of tickets for this summer series...we got them before we knew Gillian and David were going to be playing. When I saw they were coming I went ahead and bought tickets. All the good reserved seats were already sold out so I had to get general admission tickets but at least we'll be there.

So how about this for my summer concert pleasure at the art museum...

Last Saturday we saw Iris Dement....next week is Lucinda Williams...a few days later we'll see Leo Kottke...then the finale...will be Gillian Welch on August 3rd.

The following Sunday (the 7th) my folky music group from our church will be playing as guest performers at a neighboring church for their Sunday service...I don't know how well we'll play but at least I ought to be properly inspired!

Last Saturday we saw Iris Dement....next week is Lucinda Williams...a few days later we'll see Leo Kottke...then the finale...will be Gillian Welch on August 3rd.

Oh! You're living my dream LOL! What a great summer lineup!

On the interview I posted, the NPR announcer asks Gil and Dave to do a couple of their old songs in addition to the new ones. It's amazing how they can harmonize and play so well together. They're perfect!

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely love the sound of the Epi archtop David Rawlings plays. His flatpicking style goes absolute brilliantly with GW's J-50.

Man oh man, I can se I gotta get another guitar. Anyone have any experience with Gibson acoustic archtops? I see a lot of them from the late 40's and early 50's on eBay for what seem like rational prices. They sound perfect for flatpicking leads when you are playing with someone else on flat top.

I believe Dave is playing a '36 Epiphone Olympia.

The Ryman fan-club pre-sale sold out "almost instantaneously." How is this possible? The Grimey's presale sold out almost just as fast. General sale for the Ryman show starts tomorrow. This is going to sell out fast. Meanwhile, tickets are still avail for the Huntsville show this Saturday which is only about an hour's drive from Nashville. Hmm.

Archived