Gibson Brands Forums

You know you're addicted to guitar playing when.....

j45nick

You know you are completely addicted to guitar playing (and guitars) when:

1) you always have multiple guitar picks in your wallet wherever you go;

2) you get twitchy around people who don't talk about guitars;

3) the most common conversation with your significant other while looking at your computer screen starts: "what do you think of at this really neat guitar?";

4) you keep thousands of dollars in cash around "just in case something comes up over the weekend".....

etc, etc, etc.

More?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You always have a thumbpick on. And don't think it's odd.

You slow down and rubber-neck at EVERY yard sale, looking for a case or a glimpse of wood.

ps...you keep picks in your wallet?

1) you always have multiple guitar picks in your wallet wherever you go;

2) you get twitchy around people who don't talk about guitars;

3) the most common conversation with your significant other while looking at your computer screen starts: "what do you think of at this really neat guitar?";

4) you keep thousands of dollars in cash around "just in case something comes up over the weekend".....

etc, etc, etc.

More?

Is 3 our of 4 a bad indicator?

ps...you keep picks in your wallet?

You got a problem with that? It's got a little zipper pocket which I thought was made for that purpose. It's the older guy's way of always "being prepared...."

No snide comments on that.

I almost never play with a pick - I'm a fingerstylist - but I do always have one with me. It's good for checking out a new guitar.

I know I'm addicted because I haven't been able to stop for the last 49 years and I just don't care to think about not playing.

Sometimes I hear them calling out to me to be played.

Yes, to all of the above!!! (Substitute "purse" and "pockets" for "wallet," though...)

And when:

--You are uneasy and restless on those days when your guitar doesn't sound quite up to par (due to daily humidity changes or stuffy ears or Mercury in retrograde or whatever it is that causes this) and you worry--well beyond reason--that it won't "come back." (Your condition causes your family and co-workers to question your attention span and inquire as to the general state of your health.)

--You put your ear down on the wood while you're playing and remember the very first time you did that.

--You have more memories with your guitar in them than you have of an any one person, place, or thing.

--You love to check this forum frequently. And not only because you fantasize that someone wants to give you their cherished late 50s/early 60's slope-shouldered CW, just because it told them it has your name on it, but because there might, just might, be a thread to read or join that will, like this one, delight you because it reminds you that you belong to a tribe.

Hello, my name is Anne, and I'm an addict...:rolleyes:

* your vacation approaches and you start worrying about which guitar to take . . .

* your vacation approaches, you've decided to take a guitar - now you worry about maybe taking an acoustic and an electric guitar "just in case".

* you come back from vacation with more guitars than you left with.

Really - - - I just got back from a 9 day vacation - left with two guitars, came back with three.

The new guy - ES-359 -

ES-339overtop-md.jpg

* your vacation approaches and you start worrying about which guitar to take . . .

* your vacation approaches, you've decided to take a guitar - now you worry about maybe taking an acoustic and an electric guitar "just in case".

* you come back from vacation with more guitars than you left with.

Really - - - I just got back from a 9 day vacation - left with two guitars, came back with three.

The new guy - ES-359 -

ES-339overtop-md.jpg

That's a beauty!

And when your vacation approaches but, since you know you can't bring any guitars, you think about maybe not going...

When you take along picks AND a capo to a party just in case the people MIGHT have a guitar in the house. (been there, done that)

Also, you carry picks and a capo with you when you are out and your route on your errands takes you by the guitar shop.

(I just carry picks all the time... my key fob is a pick case).

I almost never play with a pick - I'm a fingerstylist - but I do always have one with me. It's good for checking out a new guitar.

I know I'm addicted because I haven't been able to stop for the last 49 years and I just don't care to think about not playing.

Sometimes I hear them calling out to me to be played.

That's not the guitar calling out to you grampa: that's feedback from your hearing aid. (This from a guy who's been playing the same guitar for the last 45 years.) [laugh]

That's not the guitar calling out to you grampa: that's feedback from your hearing aid. (This from a guy who's been playing the same guitar for the last 45 years.) [laugh]

Funny but not true. I don't have one because when the music started getting too loud - when they started micing drums - I stopped going to them, especially indoors. For a 64 year old I have pretty good ears.

Funny but not true. I don't have one because when the music started getting too loud - when they started micing drums - I stopped going to them, especially indoors. For a 64 year old I have pretty good ears.

Same age here. Ears still fine for music, but not always for everything else. My time as a concert engineer--mixing from the middle of the audience, between headphones at full volume and the amps about the same--sort of did in the high frequencies. But it was fun at the time.

--You put your ear down on the wood while you're playing and remember the very first time you did that.

Sort of like the first time you stuck your head under the water with a pair of goggles on: Holy Cow; there's a whole new world inside there!

Thanks for the memories on that one.

Thats a great way of looking at it ! There are some great quotes here, i think Gibson should put in a book or place it on their website under ... why you should play guitar ! :-)

You just may be an addict when you instinctively turn to a guitar because you know it will make the good times better and help you get through the bad times.

The new guy - ES-359 -

ES-339overtop-md.jpg

OMG! That's stunning!

The tone on a ES is one of my earliest times I envied a guitar player, (Wes Montgomery), and of course BB & Chuck Berry.

Beautiful guitar.

1. I carry the picks, (one in my money clip and one in my wallet).

2. I bring a guitar EVERYWHERE with me.

3. I keep an electric solid body guitar in the motorhome, (with amp and stand).

4. Will play anytime anywhere if asked, (and sometimes when not asked).

5. Take asprin whenever my hands feel "stiff", (still not too often considering my age).

6. Every family gathering includes guitar playing.

7. Just like to be around other players.

Archived