Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone satin finish maintenance question

loweyno1

Hi guys - I recently purchased my first electrical guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Studio in worn cherry and I totally love it. I'm just wondering what the best way is for cleaning the body and neck of a satin guitar and keeping the finish in top condition. I've tried searching the internet and seen various methods, lint free cloth with warm water, pure chamois, some say that guitar polish is ok, some say not to. Just wondering what the best method is as I'm now very confused!

Also I am currently storing my guitar on a Hercules stand, I have read that some foams on stands can cause reactions on the guitars finish and damage it. HoweverI believe Hercules use a special formula that will not damage the guitar. Should I still purchase a guitar case for storage?

Thanks in advance for your help :)

Hi guys - I recently purchased my first electrical guitar, an Epiphone Les Paul Studio in worn cherry and I totally love it. I'm just wondering what the best way is for cleaning the body and neck of a satin guitar and keeping the finish in top condition. I've tried searching the internet and seen various methods, lint free cloth with warm water, pure chamois, some say that guitar polish is ok, some say not to. Just wondering what the best method is as I'm now very confused!

Also I am currently storing my guitar on a Hercules stand, I have read that some foams on stands can cause reactions on the guitars finish and damage it. HoweverI believe Hercules use a special formula that will not damage the guitar. Should I still purchase a guitar case for storage?

Hi there, welcome to the forums, congrats on your LP, hope you like it around here.

I don't have a faded, so looking after that finish isn't my forte, I've heard it mentioned here though that a natural chamois is excellent for looking after such finishes.

The case issue depends on several factors, if it's just going to remain at one location (home/work etc), then it depends on whether you have errant kids or animals running around, if you feel the location to be secure I wouldn't worry about a case too much, if there's a chance of occasional kaos, then throw it in a case, If it's going to be moved between locations, a case is almost mandatory IMO.

Hi there, welcome to the forums, congrats on your LP, hope you like it around here.

I don't have a faded, so looking after that finish isn't my forte, I've heard it mentioned here though that a natural chamois is excellent for looking after such finishes.

The case issue depends on several factors, if it's just going to remain at one location (home/work etc), then it depends on whether you have errant kids or animals running around, if you feel the location to be secure I wouldn't worry about a case too much, if there's a chance of occasional kaos, then throw it in a case, If it's going to be moved between locations, a case is almost mandatory IMO.

Hi - thanks for your reply - should the chamois be used dry or damp?

Hi - thanks for your reply - should the chamois be used dry or damp?

I don't really recall, the member I remember being a big fan of them was 'animalfarm', he created and maintains the DO-IT-YOURSELF thread pinned to the top of the Epi Lounge, he's a pretty knowledgeable guy and I put a lot of stock in his opinions, He logs on pretty regularly, so hopefully he can shed a bit more light on the best way to use them (no pressure, LOL).

DO-IT-YOURSELF Thread

I've been told by several luthiers that polish/wax just builds up gunk and traps crap. That the best way to clean is a clean, soft cloth dampened with Naptha. I would think that would also work on a satin finish. I used this method on my satin finshed acoustic before I polished it up with Meguire's and it worked very well.

Been using a Dry Chamios on my "Worn Brown" SATIN finish, and ALL other

Hi-Gloss finish gits for a couple of years. STILL sold on it!!!!!

I DO occasionally use Git polish on the Gloss Finishes, but the SATIN

finish has NEVER seen polish. Just CHAMIOS.

100_0587.jpg

LINK to similar thread from MARCH 2009:

Am I the only one who Cleans/Polishes my Guitars with Chamois("Shammy")?

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/45457-am-i-the-only-one-who-cleanspolishes-my-guitars-with-chamoisshammy/page__p__620999__hl__chamios__fromsearch__1#entry621021

Don't use acetone, it's far too strong.

That's right - Acetone is a solvent, and will damage the finish not to mention melt any plastic parts it comes in contact with.

Use acetone only on all-metal parts that have been completely removed from the guitar. See this thread:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/58516-how-do-you-fight-tarnishing/page__p__789766__hl__acetone__fromsearch__1&do=findComment&comment=789766

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetone

"Acetone is a good solvent for most plastics and synthetic fibers including those used in laboratory bottles made of polystyrene, polycarbonate and some types of polypropylene.[7] It is ideal for thinning fiberglass resin, cleaning fiberglass tools and dissolving two-part epoxies and superglue before hardening. It is used as a volatile component of some paints and varnishes. As a heavy-duty degreaser, it is useful in the preparation of metal prior to painting; it also thins polyester resins, vinyl and adhesives."

Dude, do yerself a favor, get the case. And DON'T get a gigbag as even the "re-inforced" ones don't really offer too much protection. Dust is an electric guitars worst enemy in my honest opinion, and a case will prevent premature failure of pots and switches due to dust accumulation (you'd be surprised how quick). In my experience most electrical components are magnets for dust, don't know why, maybe built-up static or something...case.

My wife's acetone-based nail polish remover is in a #2 (HDPE) plastic bottle. Still, I wouldn't recommend it for cleaning a guitar. Nasty stuff that would be disastrous on a lacquer-finished guitar.

Nail polish remover is acetone based, but it's not pure acetone, it's usually been diluted and scents added.

Nail polish remover is acetone based, but it's not pure acetone, it's usually been diluted and scents added.

And it is still strong enough to take the finish off furniture, so I would not use it on a guitar. (Our teenage daughter spilled some on the coffee table, and it did quite a job on the finish.)

• 3 months later...

The foam stands will damage only nitrocellulose finished guitars. Polyurethane is perfectly safe.

Very slightly dampened chamois or very soft cotton - preferably flannel of some sort. Ain't much to go wrong on any guitar unless it has no finish at all, and even then if that area or guitar is "dirty," it's all I'd use.

m

Archived