Gibson Brands Forums

Played a Killer AJ Tonight at the GC in Plano, Texas

Pickax

In most cases, I don' find myself overly attracted to the AJ's but this one I played tonight had huge tone and volume. Best sounding Dread in the acoustic room which included a Martin D -45, HD-28V, D-28, D-35' J-45 Hog, Custom J-45 and a Bird. This ax was downright explosive and I had a hard time setting it down. They had 2 in the store but one was head and shoulders above the other - not that it was bad but this particular AJ was a killer. Loved the setup and it had a great neck angle which allowed for a nice high Saddle and nice string break over the saddle. They really put some mojo in this one.

The sales guy told me they had just been out of the box for a week. One had very wide grain on the top with a bit of Bearclaw and the other had tight grain on the top. It was the tight grain one that sounded the best. If anyone is looking for a killer AJ, this is it.

Probably should but I'm already past a saturation point with my present collection of Guitars and Mandolins :o

That's crazy talk!!! Obviously, we need to talk you back into the realm of sanity. Repeat after me:

You can never have too many guitars!

I have an AJ that I picked up from GC in Houston a few years ago. They were blowing them out at $1600 and I had a $50 off coupon on top of that. I had wanted one for a long time. They had three in stock, and I took my time playing each and picking the best. Have not regretted that purchase one bit! I love my AJ!

Archived