Gibson Brands Forums

LP Studio 50s with humbuckers

AlanH

Just thought I'd post some pics of my new purchase from Thomann. [biggrin] She was their last Honeyburst........there will be no more of these for a good few months at least.

This stripped down beauty is an out and out, rip roaring rock 'n' roll machine! With a bit of a tweaking of the bridge and stop bar to suit my preferences she plays effortlessly. I'll post some better daylight shots at the weekend.

Apologies to my friends on the Epi forum who will have already seen this.

DSC02521.jpg

DSC02522.jpg

Alan

Beautiful guitar. What are your impressions on the sounds this one produces? I'm an owner of a 50's tribute with p90's and I can't help myself but to ask myself this.

Beautiful guitar. What are your impressions on the sounds this one produces? I'm an owner of a 50's tribute with p90's and I can't help myself but to ask myself this.

To be honest, I was a bit worried that the 498T (being alnico V) was going to be a little muddy but it's nothing of the sort.

Unplugged, the guitar itself is very resonant and has that LP fatness, despite the chambering. However, there is a brightness to it. Maybe it's the chambering or perhaps the faded finish is giving it a bit more 'attack'. Whatever the reason, I think it suits this guitar. Plugged in, those pickups and electronics deliver a very responsive, gritty hard rock tone. When you start throwing more gain at it, it becomes an out and out heavy metal machine. When the mood takes you that neck 490R, with a little gain, gives you creamy, articulate blues tones and it's equally good for clean passages.

I like my music to have gain, whether it be blues, hard rock or metal. This guitar is ideal for all those genres. The stripped down look and feel adds to the experience, IMO.

Alan

Archived