Gibson Brands Forums

bough a spirit and had to return it

johnnyninja

Sad to say but true.

I was really looking forward to getting a Spirit. For 400 I wasn't expecting a lot but I'll tell you what I wasn't expecting.

Poor finish. Areas where I could see some wood near controls and the trem. Just generally bad quality.

String cap on neck not straight

I set up my own guitars so not a big deal but this wasn't even close. What that tells me is that they don't even look at them and just

shove 'em in a box once they come off the line.

Rosewood for the fingerboard very poor. Fretwork...bad. and the real killer. A hump in the fingerboard/neck at about the 14th - 20th fret.

It's really too bad. There are COUNTLESS guitars in the 400 dollar range that slay the Spirit from a quality standpoint. That shows that it's not hard to do. A company just

needs to care. It seems that this guitar is nothing more than an irritant to Gibson and they couldn't care less about it.

I would recommend that anyone thinking of purchasing this guitar not bother and save enough to get a Synapse if you really want the style. I can only assume they are better. No trem though.

I was told that Hohners were in a different class. I should have listed.

So did I come on Gibson's forum to slam them. I guess I kind of did. But ask yourself if it's deserved or not. If you want to be a guitar company...be a good one in all aspects of your craft.

JN out.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, sorry to read that this Steinberger wasn't all that it should have been - much thanks for your feedback. If you decide to try again and the instrument doesn't meet your expectations, please contact us so that we may assist in resolving the issue for you. Thank you.

• 1 month later...

I got one and had trouble keeping it in tune which was odd because of the tuning system and is one of the selling points.

I ordered a second and this one stayed in tune but the neck wood didnt look so nice and the screw heads on the string cap were broken.

I was really disappointed because it played really well and sounded great.

I sent both those back and started looking for something else. it took six months for me to decide and I placed an order for an Ibanez bass....well that was back ordered. so.......I took a chance and ordered a third Spirit.

I got it today....after careful inspection I can say the finish, neck and the set up on this one was much better.I adjusted the neck to my liking and tuned it. I am letting it sit for a while to settle in and I will be playing it in a little while.

so far this one seems much better than the other 2.

Hi, sorry to read that this Steinberger wasn't all that it should have been - much thanks for your feedback. If you decide to try again and the instrument doesn't meet your expectations, please contact us so that we may assist in resolving the issue for you. Thank you.

as you might see i had some issues with a couple of Steinbergers. I was glad to see your reply to the OP.

Nice to know you would correct any issues he may have if he chose to buy another. I hope that hold true for me as well should I see any issues

Hey johnnynija...try it again. I just got finished playing my new Steinberger and this one is great!

stays in tune, the build quality is better than the first 2 I got. it stays in tune, the neck is nice and uniform in looks and instead of a plastic leg rest this one has a metal one.

fooling with the tone knobs and my amps EQ gives me a tone I have been looking for. deep throaty with a hint of metallic clank

I totally agree with the original poster. I thought the Synapse was bad but at least Gibson eventually sorted that out after several months of waiting around. However, I've been through roughly 12 while Spirit GT-Pro guitars and each and every single one of them have, not only just been poor, but extremely bad quality.

Issues such as bad and unfinished paint jobs, very bad routing, twisted necks, crooked parts (pick-ups, string brace at the head). Honestly, if I worked on the production line at the Steinberger factory, I'd be really ashamed to box these pieces of crap up and send them on their way. The QC guys must be blind!

As for the customer services...how poor can you get Gibson?! Telling a customer that you refuse to produce one properly as they should be (and are being sold as) and saying that they are what they are and put up with it or get a refund.

Same issues across the entire Gibson range as well!

Disgrace!

Archived