Gibson Brands Forums

Ok something to talk about

Enmitygauged

Ok peoples I spent most of my time playing without picks to the point I have a dava control pick I bought when I was 15 that is still in use. I like picks with grip My lead guitarist plays with a jazz pick heavy and small. I cant use it. Besides the Dava control pick which is an awesome pick ( I just cant find it anywhere here in Adelaide ) what would you recommend for a .80 weight with some sort of grip I tried the Ibanez ones hated them

Wow.....Lots of Dunlop pick users here....Me as well, usually .60 Dunlop Standards; I hold picks sideways, with only a bit available to hit

the strings with......I recently learned that many jazz cats do this.....hmmm.......

For my whole life I have used 2.0 mm Gator type picks, but now (well since two weeks ago) I have had plectrum epiphany!! I am using 5 mm gypsy jazz picks for electric and acoustic. The rhythms are chunkier and I can really play much faster and more accurately! Check these bad boys msp_thumbup.gif

picks_1.JPG

I'd say that 99.9 percent of the time I'm playing bare fingers and thumb nowadays - although steel fingerpicks and one of those sharp clear thumbpicks for banjo and 12-string guitar.

When I do use a flatpick I've some ancient Fender mediums and some nylon something-or-anothers that have lasted in the big old AE guitar case since the mid 1970s.

I think a lot of pick preference has to do with a lotta factors ranging from music style to guitar shape to string gauge to how one holds the thing.

m

I use those Dunlop Ultra Grips...I use 0.88 to 1.5 depending on what mood and guitar I'm playing...I used to play exclusively Dava picks but I prefer the feel of the Ultra Grips more...Try losing one of them picks!

For my whole life I have used 2.0 mm Gator type picks, but now (well since two weeks ago) I have had plectrum epiphany!! I am using 5 mm gypsy jazz picks for electric and acoustic. The rhythms are chunkier and I can really play much faster and more accurately! Check these bad boys msp_thumbup.gif

picks_1.JPG

Damn...thats a thick pick!...I would think though if you played aggressively you'd get alot of fret rattle, is that true Matt? Or do you just have a light touch?

Fender red celluloid thins. Used em for years. Old school I guess.

word. I remember when I first started playing 20+ years ago the only picks we could get in our small are were Fender celluloid picks. Used to almost poke out our eyes with those suckers. The thins don't wear down, they chip & break and shoot off the strings like shrapnel.

After years of searching I have settled on Dunlop Tortex Wedge .50mm picks. Just flexible enough for my ham handed playing style and with enough meat to grip.

21P2MP01BBL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

For my acoustic I have started using Fender celluloid picks. Thins sound nice and jangly, but the mediums give nice volume.

I play fingerstyle, but I prefer the sound I get with my Jazz III pick for lead parts and an occasional chord. I have a hard time playing more than three or four strings at a time with a pick; it gets caught up in the strings and tends to move around in my fingers. Playing rhythm, I'll either play without a pick or use a very thin gauge. Maybe for rhythm, I just need to play with a more relaxed action in my fingers and wrist.

Damn...thats a thick pick!...I would think though if you played aggressively you'd get alot of fret rattle, is that true Matt? Or do you just have a light touch?

It is as thicker than a giant whale omelette!!

Yes I am quite a light picker (and also a light presser with my left hand)

I've used Dunlop nylon 73mm picks since they came out,they are very easy to grip and very durable and if not for my ability to lose them all the time I would probably be using the first one I bought.

I've been using these for a few years and really like them. They have a very good grip on both sides. I have a tendency to not hold on to my picks. These really helped solve that problem. I get mine at Guitar Center. But you can also get them on ebay. Here's a link to Ebay Music 123.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Snarling-Dogs-Tin-Box-Brain-Picks-/190540615592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item72176d3e11

DV016_Jpg_Large_110010_web_comp.jpg

I've been using these for a few years and really like them. They have a very good grip on both sides. I have a tendency to not hold on to my picks. These really helped solve that problem. I get mine at Guitar Center. But you can also get them on ebay. Here's a link to Ebay Music 123.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Snarling-Dogs-Tin-Box-Brain-Picks-/190540615592?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item72176d3e11

DV016_Jpg_Large_110010_web_comp.jpg

Same ones I use, as stated in my earlier post. I use the green ones .53 and hold them sideways.

Guest farnsbarns

I have been reading thus with interest. After loosing half my index finger mail it has grown back quite right. Today I gave in, I'm going to have to get used to using a plectrum after about 15 years of holding my thumb and index finger together, as if holding a plectrum but using the nail. I have been trying out a load of plectra . I seem to prefer a pretty rigid dunlop Jazz III.

EricJohnsonClassicJazzIII-11.png

I really thought a thin one would suit me better but this seems to be best so far

Archived