Gibson Brands Forums

Should I trade my '56 GT for CSTM G400"

musicmaker99

Came across an '05 Epi SG Custom Les Paul with OHSC for $349 in excellent condition. I can pretty much trade my '56 GT even up (well, er, return it to GC because its still within the 30 days)...but I love my GT. However, the pups on the custom are hot-hot-hot.....the tone was to die for.....but, I love the P-90's on my GT, too.

The custom played better than most SG's inspite of the action being set quite high. It has a 50's profile neck, thicker than the GT..My GT plays exactly like my EPI LP Standard, so no advantage there.

I stiill have an SG flametop on hold but this custom leaves it in the dust.

Maybe I should trade my LP Standard and a couple other guits so I can keep the GT. I just hate trading for half of what something's worth unless I paid next to nothing for it.

I mean everyone needs a GT in their collection, right? Yes, of course.....just like everyone needs an SG.

So, anyone have experience with these models and can compare the two? It's really apples and oranges, isn't it? The value is about identical. Only advantage here is that the SG comes with a case anf the GT didn't. Also, the build of the SG is superior to the GT, binding, headstock, tuners etc, reminds me of my GENESIS in many ways.

DV016_Jpg_Large_518325.460_ivory.jpg

My G400 Custom is one of my least favourite of my 60, it sounds great, plays great, but it has neck flex, it's a total PIA. Seeing as you have a chance to play it first, I would check the neck flex issue first, if it passes that problem then it would be a great guitar.

It was one of the few guitars I bought from a shop, I had to order it special and I didn't know of the neck flex issue at the time, and was at the very beginning of learning to play so I was embarrassed to play it in store that much, otherwise it would have stayed in the shop for sure.

Err, if you trade an old beloved guitar for it, you will remember in the future, why did I sell it?

Think of it this way. I was going to buy an ipad, didn't need it, just seem'd great at the time. In 3 years it will be worth scrap. Your guitar will not. I didn't buy an ipad, putting the cash for something I love instead. [thumbup]

I'd do it since you're withn the 30 day return period.

From my own personal experiece with an Epi 56 GT, it's

more about looks than sound.

Keep your 60's lp with the P90's, that's a better guitar.

I never been interested in SG's, but that one is cool.

You will miss those P90s in less than 3 days.

Highly unlikely as I have 3 other guits with P-90's. What I would most likely regret is giving up something, in this case the GT, that is perfectly setup with no buzzing, etc and very nice low action. It really plays perfectly and stays in tune with the best of 'em.

Too bad I can't put the SG on layaway and then sell some gear on CL or Ebay. Music-GO-Round has a policy that items must be on the floor at least 2 weeks before they can do a layaway. In this case that's another week. So, I guess I should stop worrying about this, wait a week and if she's still there problem solved.eusa_clap.gif

As usual, thanks for the comments. One thing I've found out about GAS is that if you just wait it out it will eventually pass (ha, ha, ha).

My G400 Custom is one of my least favourite of my 60, it sounds great, plays great, but it has neck flex, it's a total PIA. Seeing as you have a chance to play it first, I would check the neck flex issue first, if it passes that problem then it would be a great guitar.

It was one of the few guitars I bought from a shop, I had to order it special and I didn't know of the neck flex issue at the time, and was at the very beginning of learning to play so I was embarrassed to play it in store that much, otherwise it would have stayed in the shop for sure.

So Rastus, do you think the neck flex issue is an inherent problem or more of an anomoly? I didn't notice anything unusual in the model I played. It stayed in tune beautifully and intonation seemed spot on down the board.

So Rastus, do you think the neck flex issue is an inherent problem or more of an anomoly? I didn't notice anything unusual in the model I played. It stayed in tune beautifully and intonation seemed spot on down the board.

Hmm....this may answer all my questions RE: NF:

NECK FLEX [crying]

It's a problem with some of them, I think it's pretty rare, mine was made just as they were moving production to China, so that could have some bearing. It's a great guitar ruined by this one issue, if you get another chance to try that one just try flexing the neck front to back softly and see if the pitch changes.

EDIT: What I'm considering is removing the neck pup for access, then screwing the tenon into the body or trying some wedges, I know this would seem blasphemous to many, but the thing's unusable as it is, it would be a terrific guitar but for this issue, but a waste of time with it.

I have an '08 G-400 Custom and it can scream like a banshee or ellicit some of the sweetest jazz tones since Wes Montgomery.The bridge pup is deadly and has more bite than a rabid tiger and the neck pup is great for creamy smooth jazz tone.Using the bridge pup and rolling off the treble I can get some of the sweetest "woman tones' since The Cream's Disraeli Gears album.My daughter's boyfriend has a Gibson SG and says that my G-400 Custom tops it in every way.BTW if you are lucky enough to own a Marshall,it's a match made in Heaven,I plug into my old JCM 800s and it's a trip back to the 60s.I'd do the trade in a heartbeat at that price.

I have an '08 G-400 Custom and it can scream like a banshee or ellicit some of the sweetest jazz tones since Wes Montgomery.The bridge pup is deadly and has more bite than a rabid tiger and the neck pup is great for creamy smooth jazz tone.Using the bridge pup and rolling off the treble I can get some of the sweetest "woman tones' since The Cream's Disraeli Gears album.My daughter's boyfriend has a Gibson SG and says that my G-400 Custom tops it in every way.BTW if you are lucky enough to own a Marshall,it's a match made in Heaven,I plug into my old JCM 800s and it's a trip back to the 60s.I'd do the trade in a heartbeat at that price.

I do have a Marshall 1/2 stack (VS100 head and JCM 1960 Lead cab). I'll bet it would also sound awesome through my 1970 Fender Twin Reverb (since that's what I auditioned it through at Music Go Round...LOL).

Your description is very similiar to my experience. The pickups were HOT! The sounds were a plethora of different lanscapes (is that a bit too poetic?). It rocked![biggrin]

dddddd2t.jpg

img9610d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Archived