Gibson Brands Forums

Bluesy Vintage Gibsons question

BluesKing777

I love the sound of my ladder-braced Gibson LG0 for blues fingerpicking. I currently use it in g tuning for slide. I love it in standard tuning for Charlie Patton sort of stuff as well, so I am looking at a ladder-braced Gibson LG1 as well! (well I have the finger poised on the trigger for a couple - hi ebay sellers if you are watching!).

The question to vintage Gibson players would be:

Is there a Gibson that has the ladder-braced sound, but with higher quality construction and parts?

BluesKing777.

Guest WiseAxe

What is higher quality? What added to the authenticity of these blues machines was the hardscrabble existence that many of them lived. And they weren't necessarily of higher quality to begin with. The Gibson variants like the Kalamazoo mentioned were made to be sold cheaper in retail stores, and their lightly built, ladder-braced nature had that dry & woody blues sound in spades. Some found their way into musical circles that could only be described as "rustic", at best. Sometimes better isn't better.

The ladder-jobs were budget models. Take 'em as they come. There are some modern makers (Fraulini, Hauver) doing high-quality ladder-braced repros, Stellas mostly, for a price. The premier small body Gibson of the period was the L00 (ex-braced) which has the killer Gibson midrange mojo + bass and sustain. But you knew that.

Yes, forget the whole ladder-braced idea and buy the L-00 or L-1!

I have always wanted one of those, but have not come across the 'right' one as yet. I could trade all my little 'houses' for a 'hotel', just keep changing tuning, g to d to standard, standard to g, back to standard, to d, to g, lost and confused play the wrong song in the wrong key, small audience loves to see the 'fall' etc, etc, sorry getting ahead of the idea now but I do like to have at least 2 guitars tuned and loaded.

L-00 is x-braced and has what look like the same tuning pegs as my LG0 though...

It sounds like ladder-braced Gibsons are out if we want quality wood and fittings - have to look at nick lucas types special small-bodied Gibsons - Roy Bookbinder certainly does a good job with his NL.

p.s. I bought the 50's Gibson LG1 and will have to camp out by the mailbox for a week or two to wait.

BluesKing777

It sounds like ladder-braced Gibsons are out if we want quality wood and fittingsp.s. I bought the 50's Gibson LG1 and will have to camp out by the mailbox for a week or two to wait

Sounds like you are having some fun. There is prob a custom builder out there, heck maybe even the fellows in Bozeman, that would build you a ladder l0/lg for a price. Remember, tho, its not bout the axe. Good pickin'.

I agree, then I don't agree. I listen to the old records, but I have also seen some of the very, very best live.

Every guitarist, whether from the Delta or from Hong Kong will get the very best SOUND he/she can possibly get, and will keep improving that sound if the funds become available by getting the best instrument available for those said funds! Phew! I guess I mean if a guitarist has the dough they are sure gonna splash it around the guitar shop!

I was extremely lucky when I was a kid to see Sonny Terry and Brownie McGee a number of times, and WOW, it didn't seem to bother Brownie that he was playing that Martin D - something. Another time I saw a Blues Festival with a whole list of Blues Performers including Brownie, the show ending with Freddie King blowing the place to bits with his Gibson 335....

BluesKing777

Sounds like you are having some fun. There is prob a custom builder out there, heck maybe even the fellows in Bozeman, that would build you a ladder l0/lg for a price. Remember, tho, its not bout the axe. Good pickin'.

And Yes, I have been having fun!

I want to stay within the Gibson fold though.

BluesKing777

Archived