Gibson Brands Forums

Happy Independence Day

lagerfanny

Don't get me wrong, 'cuz I'm as patriotic as any and perhaps moreso than most, but without the English tradition of government and law to build on, there may have been a revolt and civil war in 1776 and years afterward, but certainly not the United States of America.

It took years and a war between two sovereign nations, one old, large and powerful, and one new and bursting with growth, to eventually bring recognition there is far too much in common to ignore in one of the world's longest-lasting international friendships and alliances.

Winston Churchill hit the nail squarely in noting the commonalities of "The History of the English Speaking Peoples." So I see the U.S. independence as in the best tradition of the Anglophone nations around the world. May it long live in harmony and the closest of friendships.

m

Don't get me wrong, 'cuz I'm as patriotic as any and perhaps moreso than most, but without the English tradition of government and law to build on, there may have been a revolt and civil war in 1776 and years afterward, but certainly not the United States of America.

It took years and a war between two sovereign nations, one old, large and powerful, and one new and bursting with

growth, to eventually bring recognition there is far too much in common to ignore in one of the world's longest-lasting international friendships and alliances.Winston Churchill hit the nail squarely in noting the commonalities of "The History of the English Speaking

Peoples." So I see the U.S. independence as in the best tradition of the Anglophone

nations around the world. May it long live in harmony and the closest of friendships.

M

You are a gentleman and always tip things on their head and show a different angle.

Cheers to the freedom that we in the West are so fortunate to have today.

Matt

Hey, Matt...

I'm just back from a rodeo with a B-1 flyover to start it on America's Independence Day.

There's no more "patriotic" sport in the world, I think, than rodeo in the U.S. cowboy country. But every great construction needs a strong foundation, and this heritage of freedom and worth of the individual and rule of law is one shared for centuries by Anglophone nations. In fact, the tradition itself is what brought our first American Civil War of the 1770s and, in ways, the second in the 1860s.

Life's interesting. You shoulda seen the bull riding. <grin>

m

It wasn't all that low this year, but still awesome.

Last year we actually had a guy from our county pilot the B-1 in its July 4 flyover.

He'd actually won his first bronc riding buckle in the arena here... went on to join the USAF and currently is deployed overseas. He flew a bit lower... but had a lot more local knowledge, too. BTW, he also was first taught to fly _and_ ride broncs by the same local rancher.

m

There are few sight more unforgetable than a B1 buzzingpast your head.

I was working in the field a few years ago down around Big Bend. There's a military training area there and I heard jets approaching - after scanning the sky I looked DOWN and there was a flight of 3 B-1's in close formation about 500 feet off the terrain and about 1000 feet below me less than a 1/2 mile away! Pretty impressive sight!

Armadillo...

I live under the Powder River range... Hear 'em almost every night... And you're right, they're awesome however you see them. I was privileged some 20 years ago to step up the ladder to see the inside of one of these incredible machines that look far bigger up close than when they're flying.

m

The B-1 is a great plane...in 1992-93 I did some contract work on the Yakima Firing Center where Ft. Lewis and Fairchild do maneuvers. One day we were out on the range when the fire director radioed us and warned us to go to a safe area at a ridge on the south end of the range, this happened a few times daily, usually a couple of A-10s or F-16's or F-15's would be coming over, this day we watched as a B-52 flew right over us about 300 ft off the ground, the plane followed the contour of the ground, dropped down below us, we were actually looking down on this huge plane, the pilot did a arching climb, at about 1,200 ft they released bombs on a tank on the other end of the range and then banked..we watched as the bombs fly across the valley and then watched the tank disappear in a cloud, before the bombs reached the target the BUF was back on the deck and heading east, disappearing over the hills..Amazing what those pilots and planes are capable of.

Jax...

Contrary to the acronym, I always figured the Buff was beautiful. But then, so were the 36 and 29 and even the 17. Never saw a 47.

m

I agree, we sure got our moneys worth out of the 52 ditto the C-130, they have been around since the 50's and still going strong. The 47 was a beauty but the two 47 jockeys I have meet said they were tricky to fly.

Want to see something really cool?

This is the LABS maneuver, the 52 I saw that day did a modified LABS.

Churchill also said, "Americans will always do the right thing, after they exhaust all other options".

He was a very observant man...

And an American Citizen.

Archived