Gibson Brands Forums

New Wraparound for Jr. is Great!!!

brad1

A few weeks ago I bought a new bridge for my '97 SG Jr. It's the Wilkinson Lightweight Adjustable Intonated Wrapround Bridge. I got it from Guitar Fetish.It has made a huge difference in the sound/tone of this guitar.

I had always had a problem with the way this guitar sounded. I replaced the tuners, and the nut. But there was still something wrong. I was going to replace the P90, but was holding out to do that after trying everything else I could think of. Before the Wilkinson I tried two other types. Both were to high a profile, leaving the action much too high for my liking.

The Wilkinson is very low profile. In fact, it was much lower than the stock wraparound I replaced. I had to actually raise the bridge significantly because the action was too low and strings were buzzing. I can tell there is more sustain. And now it has a much richer, warmer tone to it than before. It just seems to sound like it was meant to sound. So I just wanted to pass this review on to you all for those looking for an alternative wraparound bridge.

Now I got my at Guitar Fetish for $27. http://store.guitarfetish.com/Wilkinson-Lightweight-Adjustable-Intonated-Wrapround-Bridge_p_892.html

There is also a Wilkinson/Gotoh Adjustable Bridge/Tailpiece sold at Stew Mac that looks to be the same if not very similar, and it's $44. I don't know anything about this one. Only about the Guitar Fetish one.

It took me a while to get used to the looks. It's very large, but very lightweight. But it looks OK next to my G400. And it does sound GREAT!

Here's some pics:

024-3.jpg027.jpg

030-2.jpg033-2.jpg006-2-1-1.jpg001-2-1.jpg

That cool, thanks for posting this.

Now I don't have to file the stud flanges off to fit an intonatable bridge anymore.

BTW, did you get locking studs? That might make it an even better upgrade.

That cool, thanks for posting this.

Now I don't have to file the stud flanges off to fit an intonatable bridge anymore.

BTW, did you get locking studs? That might make it an even better upgrade.

No locking studs. I'm using the studs it came with, but I'm so lazy, I kept the old bushings in. They seem to fit perfect.

Another thing I really like is that it is very comfortable to rest your hand on it. Very smooth, with nothing poking your hand.

I'm really liking the sound coming from that P90 now. It's made a world of difference. I was close to selling the guitar. But not now. [biggrin]

Archived