Gibson Brands Forums

Does my new 339 have the 30/60 neck or the '59 profile neck?

grrexach

I just purchased a new es339, antique vintage sunburst, and am totally in love with it. However, I can't seem to find any info on how to identify the neck type. Does anyone have any clues in determining whether it's the 30/60 or the '59 profile? Thanks!

On some of them, but not as a general rule, the orange sticker inside the f-hole will give a clue, but not always. sometimes the warranty card or the certificate of auth. will have the model listed as 339 or 3399. If the model is 3399 it is a 59 profile. The 30/60, to me, seems to have a more flat back to the neck around the first few frets. The 59 is a more rounded "D" shape. Call customer service and give them the serial number and they will be able to tell you.

I also have a ES-339 Antique Vintage Sunburst. I have the fat neck 59 but many if not most of these that I've seen have the 30/60 slim neck.

I would think yours is probably a slim neck, but it's quite easy to tell. Right at the top of the neck is where it's most noticeable. It's very think and rounded up there.

If your doing a chord in the first 3 frets and it feels like your holding a baseball bat, it's a '59 neck. The slim neck is very very slim up there. I've played both and even though I generally prefer slim neck guitars, I thought the 30/60 neck on the 339 was too thin.

Archived