Gibson Brands Forums

HUMIDIFIER ISSUES.....HELP!!

folkster

I'm so pissed. I live in a dry area about 30% RH or less so I often use two dampit guitar humidifiers. When I recharge then I am sure to squeeze all excess water from them and towel them dry before putting them in my guitar. This morning I notice what looked like wet spots on the X brace near the sound hole and a very noticeable wet spot on the back of the guitar on the inside between braces. I'm pretty sure it's new but I'm not sure. Doesn't seem like any bracing has been affected. What should I do?

Hopefully you won't have any trouble. There have been other's who've posted about leaking humidifiers - sometimes the wetness from the inside goes through the wood and caused the finish to bubble and/or let go on the outside.

I wish you the best possible outcome.

Hopefully you won't have any trouble. There have been other's who've posted about leaking humidifiers - sometimes the wetness from the inside goes through the wood and caused the finish to bubble and/or let go on the outside.

Well it's a j-45 and doesn't seem to be anything on the outside. Again it doesn't look saturated. Should I be concerned?

Those work well.....for an "in guitar type". I had one.

But its MUCH easier to just have a dedicated room and use a room humidifier. Had to do that up north here.

I agree 100%! If you have more than one guitar, humidifying the room makes things so much simpler. Plus your guitars are always out where you can play them easily.

Ok so no one is really answering. Do you think my guitar is gonna be okay?

I don't think anyone can say for sure. Let it dry. Hopefully you won't have any trouble. . . . . Then don't let anymore water leak inside the guitar.

Just be more careful when installing the wet dampit. The other trick I use, just incase there are drips I miss is to case the guitar, prop the case against the wall with the lid open. Then I install the humidifier. I then leave the guitar propped securely in a head up position. If there are any drips or drop stains, they are in the bottom of the guitar where I cannot see them. A few drops are not likely to cause any structural problems.

Ok so no one is really answering. Do you think my guitar is gonna be okay?

There's no way to tell. If there is no surface moisture on the inside that leaves a damp spot on a paper towel, just let it dry naturally: don't de-humidify it. The spot should gradually dry from the unfinished surface inward, as the nitro exterior finish is a pretty good vapor barrier. I would stand the guitar up and not leave it in the case until this is thoroughly dry. Don't try to force-dry it.

Here's a pic, again it's not damp to the touch. And It was never intentional for water to drip in the guitar. I'm very careful VERY CAREFUL. Ask my wife.

Just monitor it. There's nothing you can really do to make it better. Don't try to force-dry it! Leave it out, however.

I'm surprised that a dampit, fully wrung out and toweled, would leak that much. When you wring it out, really wring it...double it up and twist hard. Then towel off. I've never had one drip that was done like that. I use prescription bottles with 1/16" holes drilled in the side and a cut piece of every day sponge stuffed in it. Wet the sponge and squeeze the heck out of it. I mount it on the outside of the accessory box at the headstock end. Works great.

ps...I've had beer spilled in a guitar...didn't really cause any problem!! (don't try it at home)

I wouldn't sweat it. Structurally, I'd say you are fine. Will that stain/water spot disappear? Maybe, maybe not, but it's an internal cosmetic thing. Only you will know unless you shove every other passerby's nose into the sound hole for a look, no one else is going to see it.

Check this. I just talked to Daniel Roberts, a former luthier for Gibson and showed him the picture, he thought that if it was water it should have dried by now especially with how dry the place is that I live. He asked me if I used Dr. Ducks to clean my guitar. I do indeed! I normally don't take strings off to clean my guitar but did last time. It's possible some oil spilled in the guitar when I was cleaning it. Anyway if it is oil he said there was nothing to be concerned about and that if it was water it would most likely be okay too.

Check this. I just talked to Daniel Roberts, a former luthier for Gibson and showed him the picture, he thought that if it was water it should have dried by now especially with how dry the place is that I live. He asked me if I used Dr. Ducks to clean my guitar. I do indeed! I normally don't take strings off to clean my guitar but did last time. It's possible some oil spilled in the guitar when I was cleaning it. Anyway if it is oil he said there was nothing to be concerned about and that if it was water it would most likely be okay too.

He's right. If it had been water, it should have evaporated in a couple of days.

Depends on the nature of the stain. If it is a consistent darker color through out the whole stain, then it is most likely oil. Over time it will lighten as the oil continues to move through the wood. We're talking decades here.

If, however, the stain is a darker color 'ring' around the perimeter with the internal area the same or slightly lighter than the surrounding wood. This is likely water and will remain indefinitely. The water can pick up impurities, wood dust, dust dust, dirt or wood coloration and move it as the water migrates through the wood, The soluble particles will migrate to the edges of the water spot and remain there indefinitely.

Either way, it's inconspicuous. Don't sweat it.

I am glad to read this post, because I had problems with the dry air in my appartement (especially in the winter!) and now I have "Planet waves" humidifiers. But now I will buy "Oasis" soundhole humidifiers for all my instruments!

I am glad to read this post, because I had problems with the dry air in my appartement (especially in the winter!) and now I have "Planet waves" humidifiers. But now I will buy "Oasis" soundhole humidifiers for all my instruments!

Hey Mr. Gibbs. Long time no hear from. How they hangin'?

Archived