Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Explorer Backorder 4 months

MikeKski

Considering I haven't found a thread on backorders yet, anyone know why Gibson's been back-up so much lately? I ordered a Gibson Explorer during the beginning of May hoping it'd ship in just in time for my birthday; however I kept getting back-order notifications via emails telling me it's going to be shipped in the next week. It was fine and I didn't mind until I received my fourth notification telling me Gibson will need an extra month for it to be built. I called up Guitar Center since I ordered it from their website, and they told me it's going to be shipped in August 17th when I called Mid-June, and I called up yesterday telling me it's going to be shipped in August 24th. Anyone know what's causing the backorder? Anyone know what I could do to possibly expedite the shipment of my guitar? Anyone know how much longer the guitar is going to be backordered/ what is the probability the guitar shipment is going to be backordered again? I'm going crazy out of anxiety, I'm moving out very soon after the supposed shipment date and if it comes out defective I won't be able to get it fixed in time. Unfortunately, if the guitar does ship in late August, I might have to move back in-state, since I'm moving out back to college, just to pick it up. It's definitely an inconvenience, but I don't want to be a nuisance to Gibson themselves considering I want them to do a good job on the guitar in the first place. Thanks for reading.

As the saying goes...."All Things Good, Come To Those Who Wait"

Have patience, when a company that tries to rush their product(s) out the door they usually have a large volume of repair and return work because their quality declines dramatically!

I ordered an explorer back in January and just got it 2 weeks ago. It was well worth the wait to get a quality American made instrument.....IMO!

As the saying goes...."All Things Good, Come To Those Who Wait"

Have patience, when a company that tries to rush their product(s) out the door they usually have a large volume of repair and return work because their quality declines dramatically!

I ordered an explorer back in January and just got it 2 weeks ago. It was well worth the wait to get a quality American made instrument.....IMO!

Thanks for the wise words of encouragement.

I heard somewhere over the internet that the reason why it takes so long is because they mass-produce Explorers when there's enough orders to start changing out the parts of the factory to build them.

That and the issue over using illegal exotic woods to produce their guitars; and the delayed shipments after the flood.

Are any of those statements true?

I can't comment on how Gibson operates its production, but IMO when a company has products on backorder it's a good thing.....for them anyway. It tells me they're getting a lot of orders.

Like I said....be patient, you can't rush perfection! [thumbup]

I can't comment on how Gibson operates its production, but IMO when a company has products on backorder it's a good thing.....for them anyway. It tells me they're getting a lot of orders.

Like I said....be patient, you can't rush perfection! [thumbup]

Why can't you comment on Gibson's production? I called up Guitar Center and asked them how big the probability is that the backordered shipment's date is going to be post-poned again, if there's anything I could do on my behalf that would help get the guitar here faster, and what the reason is that the guitar is taking 4 months to ship. For the first question, they simply responded by telling me they're putting in all their effort to get the products shipped in a timely manner, but cannot guarantee a shipment date because of unforeseen circumstances. Which means there can be another back-order. There's absolutely nothing I could do but wait and accept it. And for the third question, Guitar Center referred me to their online customer service who redirected me to Gibson who told me, "Sorry, but I'm not at liberty to release that sort of information to the public. Only a Gibson Sales Representatives can give out that information, and unfortunately, they do not speak directly to the individual consumers." What's going on? Why can't I know why it's taking so long to ship if I paid for it? I can't get this order postponed AGAIN because I'm literally moving out for college the day it ships in. College starts out of state for me in September, and even if they postpone it a week, again, I'm cancelling. August or bust.

And having a backorder isn't necessarily a good thing. It could mean they have a large demand, or that they're slow in producing it, or waiting for an order large enough to consider switching out factory parts to start mass-producing the guitar slipshoddedly. Having a backorder doesn't guarantee quality-work, it could also mean that they just don't care enough to make them individually and will build them dozens at a time.

I wouldn't be so anxious about this whole back-order thing if it weren't for that doubt or worry that I'm going to end up stuck with a dud after 4 years of saving.

• 4 weeks later...

honestly think the blame lies with guitar center, not gibson lol IMHO

Nope, I called up Sam Ash and they had the same back-order date. Called up Guitar Center customer service; was told it's back-ordered because the factory didn't have enough. Both Sam Ash and Guitar Center, along with Sweetwater and other online retailers, all have the same back-order issue. The problem lies not in the stores but in the factory itself and the fact that they wait for enough of a demand for it to be cost-effective to start changing out all the equipment in the factory specialized to building the Explorer as opposed to their Les Paul. That day is projected, but not guaranteed, to be August 17. It is a tentative date, and it is liable to change at any moment.

PS. I'm still waiting.

• 1 month later...

Ordered a firebird 3 weeks ago now through a Gibson dealer in my town, initially told 2-4 weeks. When calling for an ETA I spoke to an actual honest person who told me more like 3-4 months. Let the waiting begin I guess. Lame. Hope it's here by christmas, if not, I'm just going to kill myself. My blood will be on your hands Gibson. Hope you'll be able to live with yourselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news regarding this topic?

I ordered an Explorer w tremolo last thirsday here in Sweden and the guy told me that they

had one in stock. I should have it by monday or tuesday this week. Still no SMS from them.

I see that Thomann.de has next delivery date set to 2011-11-18.

I might be in the same boat as you guys... :^o

/The Metallian

Congrats on the Explorer! I just got my Explorer trem yesterday too. The guitar is awesome, but two things bother me. First, the setup bad - not in tune at all. Second, it didn't include any hex wrenches. I would think these would include those?

Hi there and congrats youself!

Hex wrenches? Do you mean for the locking nut? Then I got wrenches. Mine was also out of tune, but I blame that on the over sea ride and perhaps that the guitar is new and not "set" yet.

The Gibson site says: "Slots Gibson PLEK system". Does that mean that the whole fingerboard is PLEK: ed?

I ordered my Firebird Studio Non Reverse 2011 here in Italy on last July. The seller assured that early September was the deadline for shipments... Nobody has seen my guitar yet. Have you ordered a similar guitars? Did you receive it?

I've ordered my Firebird NR Studio 2011 on July 26th from Thomann Germany. Last I heard, estimated date of shipment is Oct. 31st. [unsure]

Archived