Gibson Brands Forums

I'm Torn...

29Tudor

Between an Epi Studio Dot, Washburn Delta King, Samick LA-30, and an un-named

semi-hollw body Dillion. I've owned a Samick Ultramatic, Delta King, and Dillion

P90 Gold top, no complaints. I'm pretty sure I know the preference of members

on this board, but I never owned a Dot. I would have to drive 165 miles round trip

to play one.

Between an Epi Studio Dot, Washburn Delta King, Samick LA-30, and an un-named

semi-hollw body Dillion. I've owned a Samick Ultramatic, Delta King, and Dillion

P90 Gold top, no complaints. I'm pretty sure I know the preference of members

on this board, but I never owned a Dot. I would have to drive 165 miles round trip

to play one.

The rule of thumb is buy what you like a feel of, everything else in secondary.

After all you have to play it regulary so its better to have something comfortable to handle...

I've played the Washburn HB35 which presumably is similar to the Delta King. It played very similar to my cherry Dot (not studio). The body was slightly different (different horns). All these guitars would be similar feel. The dot studio is a pretty cool guitar though, a bit of a hot rod without all the flash.

If the Dillion you're considering is the "533" model thinline shaped like a 335 with separate volume and tone controls for each pickup, that's the one I'd recommend. It's way more guitar than the Dot Studio, and much nicer than the Samick LA-30 (which I believe has a bolt-on neck). If the Dillion is one of the PRS-shaped ones, I can't say, as I haven't actually played one of those, but I never did care for the PRS shape in a semi-hollow design.

Thanks for the responses, but it's a moot point now. Unexpected truck repair used

up two-thirds of the budget, so now I'm thinking about one of those hundred dollar

Rondo P90 jobs. This way I can drive my truck and play something with a different

sound.

Unexpected truck repair used up two-thirds of the budget,

so now I'm thinking about one of those hundred dollar

Rondo P90 jobs.

This way I can drive my truck and play something with a different

sound.

All I know is I LOVE mine - ended up being a GOOD purchase choice! [thumbup]

SX HAWK MN MH Strat Copy With 2 P-90s and Stop Tail:

http://forum.gibson.com/index.php?/topic/70034-sx-hawk-strat-copy-with-2-p-90s-i-found-the-missing-link/

Thanks for the responses, but it's a moot point now. Unexpected truck repair used

up two-thirds of the budget, so now I'm thinking about one of those hundred dollar

Rondo P90 jobs. This way I can drive my truck and play something with a different

sound.

That's a shame 29T, cars/trucks always seem to break down at the most inopportune times, a P90 git will be a great addition though, they rock big time.

Yup, I have p90s in my SG classic and it makes me wonder why I spent so much time obsessing over Humbuckers! I like the sound that comes out of the '90s just as much. Thats not to say I dont still like 'buckers, I am just more balanced in my persoective these days.

Archived