Gibson Brands Forums

Acousticated Advice, Hummingbird...

PESIMAX

Hello everyone, I usually frequent the Les Paul forum, but I have an acoustic issue. I have been offered a Hummingbird TV for my (not mint) 1966 rickenbacker and (Japanese) Mosrite ranger, I played the hummingbird on sunday and it was a loverly instrument....I've been dreaming about it. But I am worried that i'd never be able to afford to buy an old rickenbacker again. I'm not sure what to do, I do own loads of electric guitars but not one acoustic and I couldn't afford to buy it outright.

Any Opinion would be great.

Cheers

G

I do own loads of electric guitars but not one acoustic and I couldn't afford to buy it outright.

There you go, you answered you own question.

Get the Hummingbird, you will still have a few electrics left over anyway. Its an outstanding guitar that will grow old with you, and i guarantee you will get bored of electrics once you start playing your (soon to be) Hummingbird.

I would not do it. You have a vintage instrument, which will be hard (or at least expensive) to replace if you would ever like it back. TV Birds are being produced today, so availability is much better. Better keep the Rickenbacker and save up for the Bird.

I agree----the birds are being produced now. They're going to be around for a long time. Losing your vintage might be too much of a price to pay for the bird. On the otherhand, if you are truly ready to part with your vintage, then the bird is a sweet direction to go.

Yeah, I can't tell if I'm just Gassing for an acoustic in general. I suppose I couldn't get another 60's ricky for the price i paid for it. Maybe I should just start saving now or go for a travel acoustic (like a taylor baby). I don't play the mosrite or ricky that much, since I bought the les paul. cheers guys.

The ricky is a 365 (the one with a tremolo)...really thin neck and stupidly low action, but I always feel slightly on edge gigging with it, it doesn't really do sustain but it does jangle well, has supprising amount of bass when dial'd in.

Life's decisions, my childbride and I had a special bottle of wine we saved for years for a fitting occasion... turned to vinegar in the meantime. I went from total elec to total acoustic a few years ago. It hurt to let go of my 70'strat & 73' jazzbass... but it turned into the best wine ever, going acoustic. Set yourself free from the autotuners, etc of today and find the world of acoustic harmonics is my experience. Yea, I know, my childbride kicked me out, but as Roy Clark once sang... thank god and greyhound shes gone.

One mo... being sentimental of yore is ok but, simplifying and getting rid of some cobwebs is often good advise. If you just look at it and don't play it and it's not improving your financial picture... move on. I'm not a collector and will get rid of inanimate stuff for new stuff in a minute, especially good used stuff. About stuff:

One mo... being sentimental of yore is ok but, simplifying and getting rid of some cobwebs is often good advise. If you just look at it and don't play it and it's not improving your financial picture... move on. I'm not a collector and will get rid of inanimate stuff for new stuff in a minute, especially good used stuff. About stuff:

Ha, I do have too many **** guitars aswell, my mate owns a house clearence shop and I get all the guitars....I've got about 12 halfbroke/horrible sounding/playing Kay/random japanese guitars all piled up in my upstairs hallway. I look at them everyday and can't bring myself just to bin them.

I am surprised a little by this question and some of the responces.

The ONLY way to make an informed decision would be to know the value of all the guitars in question, and the only way to know THAT would be to look up the book value of the RIC and the MOSRITE. (there is a blue book that dealers use, and it is pretty accurate).

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if your guitars were worth more than what the TV 'Bird is worth.

Archived