Gibson Brands Forums

Mandobird questions...

Hey guys! I used to post here frequently, but haven't for some time due to lack of web access. However, laptop + wifi = posting, so I'm back, LOL!!!!

So, anyway, I'm thinking of picking up a Mandobird VIII, my local music store can get me a factory 2nd for around $200. My questions are as follows...

1. I've heard of the E string volume issue... is this fixable with a new pickup, and if so, what is the best pickup to go with? Any suggestions or links?

2. I've also seen some people having intonation issues with the one piece saddle in the bridge. I noticed the 4 string model has individual saddles... If I go with the VIII, how difficult is it to find a replacement bridge with individual saddles if I end up needing it? I saw one guy mentioned using Fender strat XII parts, but he didn't go into much detail. Any MB VIII owners willing to offer intonation insight, I would appreciate it.

3. Regarding the case, I know it comes with a bag. Is it possible to get an Epi hard case for it, or will I have to have something made? Again, any suggestions or links? I plan to gig with it, using it on the REM song Losing My Religion. I'd hate to have to transport it in a bag with the rest of my gear in hard cases.

I know $200 is a decent price, they seem to go for $250 pretty much everywhere, and I don't mind the 2nd thing. A few scratches or blemishes in the finish don't bother me. I just want to play a mandolin through my Mesa, and I figure this is the best way to go. But with pickup, bridge, and case replacements, a $200 purchase can end up costing me double that, or more... I'd like some input from you guys if possible! Thanks!

yeah , there is a problem with the pickup ,but it can be fixed . The pu is the same size as half of a fender prescision bass pu . Look at a pic of a prescion bass and you'll see what I mean .The bass pu is split into two halves , each with four poles . The bass strings go between the poles . so , one half of the pu will work . Any kind of p bass pickup will work , and , it's a perfect fit .Makes me wonder if the mandobirds have some cheap Squire bass pu in them . I have half of a Mighty Mite quarter pounder pu in mine and it screams . As far as a case goes , you'll have to make one . None available . Stew-Mac has parts for making your own case .

Welcome back! I definitely remember you - You traded a couple of EPI G-400 pups that you

had for a TEXAS Ball Cap, Texas T-shirt, and $20.00 bill from me to cover your shipping and gas to

get it in the mail. Used 'em on my first project git - turned a UHHHHGLY Brown Dean Vendetta string-thru into a

Red and Gold Hardtail...

100_0217.jpg

100_0219.jpg

You were the First EPI Forum member to reach out to the "Noob" I was then and help out.

Never forgot that. I "resurrected" your RAW POWER SG review for the EPI LOUNGE review sticky.

Forum has changed a lot since those days, many of the negative posters have departed, and for the

most part, we've become "troll-free". A whole different mind-set here now.

Welcome back. Looking forward to your experience helping out around here. We can always use more brainpower.

Thanks for the re-welcome guys! Project turned out great animalfarm, looks awesome! I still wear that hat from time to time by the way, though the 20 is long gone, LOL... I've been without interwebs for quite some time, but I'll drop in occasionally now that I have a laptop. Love that free wifi! :)

Archived