Gibson Brands Forums

Monster Dust Storm

Wow just rode out one of the worst dust storms I've ever seen here in Arizona. 60 to 70 MPH winds and a wall of dust more than 4000 feet high just rolled through the Valley of the Sun, visibility was probably 15 to 20 feet with with trees, patio furniture and garbage cans blowing everywhere. They call these bad ones Haboobs I guess they happen in places like the Sahara desert and in Phoenix. Strange things to watch it just looks like a black tidal wave and then it's pitch black. Luckily no real damage to any of my property but quite a few tree's down in the neighborhood.

Don't you love when you post a topic and not one person even looks at it? :-({|=

I did read about the storm this morning. It looked very ominous. I glad none of your stuff got damaged or nobody was injured. Did you take a any of your own photos?

I was here for it as well. I had my keys in ready to goto the store, opened the door and took one look at that 4000 ft wall of dust and dirt, and said, well I guess im going to the store tomorrow. It was pretty cool, ive been in only 3 or 4 of them so far. Lucky there was no damage.

It is supposed to rain tonight and maybe tomorrow, I just finished up grilling some chicken and corn on the grill and it was perfect timing. It started to rain just as the chicken finished, Its nice to see some precipitation in this side of the world for once. Im still holding off washing my car for another week or so just in case.

Nope the Statue of Liberty is draped in Copper which patination turns green with water especially salt water. There were some stories in the 1934-1935 time frame when the huge storms created byth the dust bowl of oklahoma and the great plains coated the Statue with thick dust for weeks if not months by the time they were able to wash it clean again the green was so obvious many people started the story that the statue had turned more of a darker or brilliant green but not based on fact just stories that grew and grew as people told others about it.

Archived