Gibson Brands Forums

You don't see these up close every day...

pippy

Yesterday, after I had finished photographing some stuff for a client, I saw this (in a glass case...) nearby and couldn't pass up the opportunity to take a couple of very quick snapshots. All the way from 1733!....

Lo-resStrad.jpg

And here's a close-up of the maker's badge on the tailpiece;

Lo-resStradplaque.jpg

[woot]

P.

Pics or it didn't happen....oh wait....nevermind !!!!!!!!!! [thumbup] [thumbup] [thumbup] ..

A little known fact.......In 1738, he made a " Stradicaster ".......

No one bought it 'cause there weren't any valve amps at the time......

Nice top. Is that 'antique violin burst'?

No, he only made those in 1736, and those were only sold at Thomsons on special order.......[crying] ..

Floyd Roses were an option though...........

That's the truth!

I just found this on google:

http://finance.yahoo...9.html?x=0&.v=1

Thanks for posting the link, FS.

I was really struck by this quote from the President of the company who were selling the instrument;

'Says Ms. Kazuko Shiomi, President of the Nippon Music Foundation, “While this violin was very important to our collection, the needs of our fellow Japanese people after the March 11 tragedy have proven that we all need to help, in any way we can. The donation will be put to immediate use on the ground in Japan.” '

Good for them! [thumbup]

P.

Cool stuff man, there was a Stradivari/us from the late 17th C that sold for 3.6 million bucks! It was rumored to have been owned by Napoleon :P

Pretty darned cool. Seen a few of them come up on auction/appraisal shows, there are a decent load of fakes unfortunately :/

Is the hood ornament OEM?

I wondered about that at the time.

I know nothing about them (Strads) but if I had to guess I'd suspect it has possibly been placed there by a respectful owner.

There was no-one about for me to ask. There was a whole screed of info about the actual instrument and it's (very well documented and also very famous) history but no mention of the badge being an add-on!

The instrument itself was made when Stradivari was 89 years old(!) so he was already very famous by the time this particular one was crafted. Apparently these later violins (this one included) all have maker's labels, hand-signed, affixed inside on the belly of the instrument, so it's not beyond the realms of possibility that he could have had some fancy little badges made-up; but I've never seen one on photographs of any of his other instruments.

Hmmmm..........Google might be my friend!

P.

I have a recording of the American String Quartet playing Mozart on Strads from the Dr. Axelrod collection.All 4 instruments are from a matched set that was made for a rich nobleman in the 18th century-it's phenominal how these instruments sound after almost 4 centuries.I'm so glad that relicing wasn't a fad back then as there would be bugger all left today.Thanks for posting the pics of such an historic and beautiful instrument.

Check this one out. It's a cello that had been a viola de gamba by Strad, converted to an adjustable neck cello.

The adjustable neck isn't quite as we use on guitars, but...

http://orgs.usd.edu/nmm/Cellos/Stradivari/10845StradCelloViol.html

I got to watch the national music museum begin as the "Shrine to Music." Some folks may find such a thing odd to be in South Dakota, but... believe it or not, they offered the best support for it at the time.

Yes, there are batches of guitars and similar instruments, too.

m

So that is a true Stradivarius? Not a early copy?

Yes; the real thing.

Because Stradivari was so well known by the time he made this one there is an unbroken provenance which comes with the instrument and is well recorded. The antique fair at which it is being put up for sale is probably the most prestigious event of it's kind in the UK. It was eye-wateringly astonishing walking around the exhibitors.

One well-known 'Purveyor of Fine Automobiles' had an ex-LeMans - and road-registered! - Ferrari '250P Sports-Prototype' on offer for £4,500,000 ($7,192,760) which made the Ferrari '330 America' beside it seemed an absolute bargain at a mere £185,000 ($295,686)..................

Here's another, better, shot of the Strad;

IMG_1337Lo-resStradmidshot.jpg

P.

Check this one out. It's a cello that had been a viola de gamba by Strad, converted to an adjustable neck cello.

The adjustable neck isn't quite as we use on guitars, but...

m

Wow! Very odd all round!

So does the screw alter the distance the heel is from the body and, therefore, the action? :-k

P.

Thanks for posting the link, FS.

I was really struck by this quote from the President of the company who were selling the instrument;

'Says Ms. Kazuko Shiomi, President of the Nippon Music Foundation, “While this violin was very important to our collection, the needs of our fellow Japanese people after the March 11 tragedy have proven that we all need to help, in any way we can. The donation will be put to immediate use on the ground in Japan.” '

Good for them! [thumbup]

P.

Now that's corporate responsibility at its finest. [thumbup]

it could make a 1959 lp seem cheep

Haha, but Billy Gibbons would still process it so that it sounded just like the Pearly Gates. Is it fitted with 7s?

Happy Birthday Pippy - is this your subtle hint to us all regarding what you want by way of a present?

it may be a stradivarius but i can't find even one image with a badge on it. somethings wrong.either the Jap was had or they are up to no good. even if it is real the attached badge would RUIN the value.

Trust me, a badge is not going to ruin the value of a Stradivarius.

Archived