Gibson Brands Forums

1999 40th Anniversary

Lespaul59

Was wondering if anyone knew how many 40th Anniversary R9's were made. Not a Killertop or Murphy but just regular ones. Added a pic of mine I got years ago. I've noticed that the 40th anniversary R9's always started with serial number 99 then 4 digits. Any takers?

post-34275-097837200 1309958783_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...

Was wondering if anyone knew how many 40th Anniversary R9's were made. Not a Killertop or Murphy but just regular ones. Added a pic of mine I got years ago. I've noticed that the 40th anniversary R9's always started with serial number 99 then 4 digits. Any takers?

I have a 1999 R9, which I assume is a 40th Anniversary. The serial number is 9 99XX.

Not sure haw many were 40th ann. models. The model year started with 99001(99 and 3 digits) and continued to 4 digits after the 99, meaning over a thousand were made. All of the R9's made in 1999 were made in the 40th anniversary year but not all are anniversary models. The anniversary models came with special certificate stating it was an anniversary model. The general production guitars did not get the special COA, I think I can safely say that there were over 1400 59's made in 1999 as I have seen 9914xx serial numbers and there are probably more. The rare ones are the ones that are Murphy aged and have the Murphy 40th anniversary COA.

40thcert.JPG

• 3 months later...

Archived