Gibson Brands Forums

Ever Have Trouble Choosing Between A Gibson And A Fender?

Tman5293

lots of cool supplied extras as well so you can tweak you tone...

Yup. I like that they ship it with another set of pickups. You could use one of each lol. msp_flapper.gif I like the Liberator volume pot too. Lets you change pickups without a soldering iron.

Yup. I like that they ship it with another set of pickups. You could use one of each lol. msp_flapper.gif I like the Liberator volume pot too. Lets you change pickups without a soldering iron.

You know that causes a loss of tone? The solderless pots dont have a as strong connection as solder does.

I don't know anything about solderless pots causing "tone loss" but it's so easy to solder in a new pickup I don't know why you wouldn't just do it the right way.

As for that guitar, that thing is insanely ugly to me. I don't even like the concept of it. Sorry for the negativity but eww.

You know that causes a loss of tone? The solderless pots dont have a as strong connection as solder does.

Not true at all. I've been making pickups with solderless conections for 8 years.

personally, I usually know what I'm looking for before I go out to buy.

Gibson vs Fender is quite a difference in tone, so I would buy based on what sound i'm after. I was thinking of getting another Gibson next time I buy a guitar but already have 2 Gibsons so my next guitar will likely be a Fender (because I don't have one and there are tones you just can't get with a Gibson). The only way I can see getting another Gibson the next time around is if I get a VERY good price on a Les Paul or SG Standard.

Since there are so many brands out there offering their version of the strat, I would probably consider a high end copy, like a Carvin or something; but the surefire way of getting the Fender and Gibson tones is to go with either a Fender of Gibby depending on the tone you're after.

It's a bit of a shame, considering they took and exact trace from the body of a '53 and they traced the p/g from a '50 that they were (presumably) not allowed to use the correct shaped peghead.

It's interesting that they mention SD'd friendship with Jeff Beck....it was my (perhaps erroneous) belief that JB really, really wanted his old Esquire back and SD wasn't in a sharing mood!

I don't really care for the looks of the thing but I suppose with the history aspect and the very small 35-off production run it's actually quite good value. I imagine it sounds rather wonderful, too.

Just sayin... no limited edition bullshit either

And those humbuckers were designed by Seth Lover, no less!

P.

Weird, guess will wait a few years before some tackles it with results.

Actually, it has been addressed by high end cable and connecter makers for years now. Many use solderless connections for sound quality reasons, with crimping or clamping (called a "cold weld") being superior for signal transmission than introducing solder into the signal path.

And when you consider the whole circuit, you already have a switch and the sweepers in the pots. These are no better than a lot of connecters.

From reading the description of the electronics of the guitar and the new pups from Seymour, he is obviously aware of these things.

SWEET

Thanks, but its actually not a very versatile instrument. The P-94s are too high output for good cleans from the bridge IMHO. Too brittle and clear. A new set of pups might make this a better player, but right now, its just around for a nice, sharp crunch.

Archived