Gibson Brands Forums

Best Analog Delay Pedal For Less Than $150?

Tman5293

I'm looking for a nice sounding analog delay pedal for less than $150. Right now I'm looking at the Electro Harmonix Memory Boy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1PBKxhp6uKM

It's $120 at Guitar Center. Since it includes vibrato and chorus I'd say that it's the best analog delay pedal for the price. Does anyone here know of anything better? I'm looking for suggestions. msp_cool.gif

Malekko 616

I second that based on the demos I have heard. It has the modulation controls on the front of the pedal so you can rock some crazy, warped sounds.

If you hunt around, try to get an older Deluxe Memory Man (the ones in the big casing). Those are analog warmth to the nth degree.

Malekko 616

Just listened to this. Sounds good except for the fact that it's way more than what I'm looking for. I just want delay. I don't need all the weird sounds it makes. I'm not a big experimenter. I want a pedal that just delays and gets the job done right the first time. Not a pedal that I'm gonna spend 3 days turning knobs on to get a good sound out of it. Usually when I get a new pedal I spend about 45 minutes to an hour finding the right sound, then it goes on my pedal board and I never mess with it again. The settings on my Big Muff haven't changed since the day I got my DeVille.

The Aqua Puss is kinda cool but a maximum delay time of 300ms is pretty lame.

Also, not to be shoving the Malekko down your throat or anything but it has 3 knobs to control the delay. That's really simple to use. If you don't want modulation just don't touch the little modulation knobs. But a little modulation makes delay sound amazing. Also, it's made in Texas. Carbon copy is made in Taiwan. I dunno where the Aqua Puss is made but it's kinda weak. Just throwin that out there.

The Aqua Puss is kinda cool but a maximum delay time of 300ms is pretty lame.

Also, not to be shoving the Malekko down your throat or anything but it has 3 knobs to control the delay. That's really simple to use. If you don't want modulation just don't touch the little modulation knobs. But a little modulation makes delay sound amazing. Also, it's made in Texas. Carbon copy is made in Taiwan. I dunno where the Aqua Puss is made but it's kinda weak. Just throwin that out there.

This. I was looking at it, but it can't get serious delays going. If you are one of those guys that use delay instead of reverb for the same thing, the Aqua Puss is awesome. However, if you do that... give me your man card.

You don't have to mess with the mod knobs, but its tons of fun and sounds great with delay. The Carbon Copy is awesome though. Try and find one used if you can

I think I got mine for right around $150.00 US.

Check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sOdzH6tvqY

Oh... look what's on ebay.

I actually just listened this one and compared it to the both the Memory Boy and the MXR Carbon Copy. I really didn't like this one at all! Just didn't sound good to me. However the Carbon Copy sounds fantastic! msp_thumbup.gif

I'm still liking the Memory Boy though. Just sounds really good to me. And it's cheaper than the Carbon Copy. Also I like being able to plug and expression pedal into it.

Just listened to this. Sounds good except for the fact that it's way more than what I'm looking for. I just want delay. I don't need all the weird sounds it makes. I'm not a big experimenter. I want a pedal that just delays and gets the job done right the first time. Not a pedal that I'm gonna spend 3 days turning knobs on to get a good sound out of it. Usually when I get a new pedal I spend about 45 minutes to an hour finding the right sound, then it goes on my pedal board and I never mess with it again. The settings on my Big Muff haven't changed since the day I got my DeVille.

If you don't like weird modulation I don't think you'll dig the Memory Boy. Its chuck full of weirdness. Check out the Modtone one. I had one and was quite suprised at how good it sounded. Very simple root to the fruit delay

If you don't like weird modulation I don't think you'll dig the Memory Boy. Its chuck full of weirdness. Check out the Modtone one. I had one and was quite suprised at how good it sounded. Very simple root to the fruit delay

Agreed, I'm using a Modtone right now and I think it's great! I only paid $50 for it on Craigslist but it really is a great pedal with some pretty decent analog sounding delay.

Archived