Gibson Brands Forums

J45 Custom or SWD Standard

xTonyWonder

Hello, first post here so flame away if this seems like a silly question. I am currently torn between the SWD Standard and the J45 Custom. Both are rosewood guitars and both sound like a dream to me. Can anyone give me their opinions on these two and why they may prefer one over the other? Thanks!

Hi Tony and welcome!

I would suggest a J-45 for an 'all-rounder' - if you only have one guitar make it a J-45.

Saying that the SWD is also a great guitar, more of a strummer but does handle fingerpicking well. The J-45 is a more 'classic' Gibson if you care about that. In either case you really can't go wrong.

Have you played either model? If you have - go with your ear.

Hey, thanks. I have played the SWD and was very impressed. I haven't gotten to play a j45 custom yet. I am going back to the guitar shop on Saturday to spend a little more time there, but they just sold their last j45 C and won't have a new one in until next week. I am dying to give it a whirl though...

Both are great guitars, but I agree with others that a J-45 is more of an allrounder. The slope shoulder will give you a tigther, bluesier tone, with strong, razor like midrange (well, almost razor like as its rosewood).

The SWD will give you a fuller, broader tone, with lots of bottom end growl and a lot of projection that sounds amazing plugged in through a large amp or PA.

The SWD is arguably a better strummer while the J-45 better at finger and flatpicking, even though it is also a very good strummer. I found the SWD generally pretty average in fingerpicking, but then im just a fingerpicking beginner, so I wouldnt listen to my opinion too much here.

Here is a great clip of a J-45 rosewood and a clip form a gig where I used the SWD. (with another guitarist)

I have a J-45 Rosewood and love it. I haven't played a SW deluxe due to the fact cut aways are deal breakers for me. I think obviously the main differences are the short scale J-45 vs long scale SWD, the cutaway and the different pick ups in each, J-45 has a LR Baggs and the SWD has a Fishman Ellipse Aura.

I also much prefer the classic look of the J-45 vs the modernish looking SWD. Just my thoughts. Obviously I recommend playing both in person.

IMG_1044.jpg

Getting opinions is a good way to start. BUT - you should audition several of each, if you can - and decide which one YOU like best.

My personal preference of the two is the SWD, but the opinions of others should not sway you from doing your own homework and making the decision based on your findings.

Bought my SWD new in 2004, after couple years it developed a very rich tone for a string slammin flatpicker deluxe. As hard as I could dare smack the chords, anywhere on the fretboard, it could hang and not loose tone... it's right up there with my Collings D2H in that respect. (HD28 or DN8 gasp, lurch, and beg for mercy when played hard)

My J45 is a custom maple and it can hang bigtime with a warm/bright tone... the J45 rosewoods I've tried can hang also just not as deep a tone as the SWD.

great wood either way

Welcome to the forum. Never played a J45 Custom but the general consensus seems to be it is great allrounder. Proper "Gibson tone". EA has it spot on with the SWD tone. It's rich and growly and made for strumming. Likes to be played hard which suits my style. So it all depends what style you want to play.

Good hunting. Cheers

Archived