Gibson Brands Forums

Truss Rod on 12 string Bard

Hello-

As a fun project, I'm restoring an early 70's 12 string FT-165 Epi Bard that is in pretty bad shape. I removed the truss rod to see if there was anything I could do to add some relief since it is a one way truss rod and the neck is only slightly back-bowed (all strings removed). I removed the rod nut and with only a slight tap, it fell down enough for me to pull it out the heel of the neck. The one way traditional rod pulled easily except hung up a little on thirty seven year old sticky masking tape, .25" wide, that was wrapped around it three places (top, middle, and end). Then I shook the neck and a small steel flat piece size approximately .125 x .25" x .50" also came out. Anyone know what this little metal piece is for? I believe the masking tape is meant to prevent rattle and the metal piece possibly a bow shim? If a bow shim, I'm not so sure that is a good idea and usually truss rod shims are full length to compensate for a deep truss rod slot. Anybody with experience who knows what or where this shim is and where it's supposed to go please comment. Perhaps its just a foreign object accidentally dropped in? I don't have any pics just yet.

Great, I'll try that!

In the meantime here are some pics so if any of you are NOS familiar, please identify what this little metal piece is and where it goes?

BTW, this is an electric style bolt on for an acoustic, that's why I got the truss rod out without taking off the fingerboard.

post-34341-028288400 1310350385_thumb.jpg

post-34341-061908600 1310350507_thumb.jpg

post-34341-025202500 1310350815_thumb.jpg

Archived