Gibson Brands Forums

rust on the strings

rotem

hey you all,

just wanted to know if there a little bit rust on the string is hurtful the guitar?

Rusty strings are not good. Rust is harder (about 5 on the mohs scale) than both the strings and the frets (4 to 5 on the mohs scale), so the rust particles will abrade the frets faster than normal. Also, when the strings rust, they develop pitting, which will also make more string wear.

It's best to change them when you notice any corrosion or rusting. Wiping the strings off after playing will help slow the corrosion.

Rusty strings are not good. Rust is harder (about 5 on the mohs scale) than both the strings and the frets (4 to 5 on the mohs scale), so the rust particles will abrade the frets faster than normal. Also, when the strings rust, they develop pitting, which will also make more string wear.

It's best to change them when you notice any corrosion or rusting. Wiping the strings off after playing will help slow the corrosion.

I agree [thumbup]

Rust also affects the tone and playability, looks unsightly and almost certainly contributes to premature string breakage. Some players have very acidic sweat that causes early rusting. Other times, it could be storage conditions that contribute. What strings brand and type you choose will also play a part.

The bottom line is rusty strings are not a good thing. If you find this to be a constant problem, you could try coated strings. Personally, I am lucky and tend to wear strings out before I rust them. If I had rusty strings I would take as a message from above that it was time to change them.

sounds like everyone is making it out worst thing ever..

Just change the strings before they get rusty and you'll notice you actually have tone again..

average price of strings.. $6-$10.. 4 times a year on a $1000+ guitar who's hurting?

what's $40 a year?

Just change the strings before they get rusty and you'll notice you actually have tone again..

average price of strings.. $6-$10.. 4 times a year on a $1000+ guitar who's hurting?

what's $40 a year?

Yup! Its a Gibson, it deserves to be looked after, wiped down and stored correctly, and the occasional set of new strings.

what's $40 a year?

Very true! In my case though, I use GFS Fast Fret before playing, then wipe down my guitar after playing, and use GFS fast fret on the strings again! And I still go through a set of strings every 3-5 weeks! Ridiculous! I must have very acidic sweat :(

what's $40 a year?

Very true! In my case though, I use GFS Fast Fret before playing, then wipe down my guitar after playing, and use GFS fast fret on the strings again! And I still go through a set of strings every 3-5 weeks! Ridiculous! I must have very acidic sweat :( Anyone got any ideas to get more life outta my strings? I typically use Ernie Ball Titanium reinforced strings. Recently these have been lasting more than a month, but a set of regular Ernie ball slinky strings will last me a month, if I'm lucky!

Archived