Gibson Brands Forums

The Best of the 1980's

Strumhead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

k well, nobody else is...fessing up so I will.

I have owned exactly two, no, three 80's Gibsons. One was a mid 80's white LP Custom that I inherited. Played it exactly thirty minutes, deemed it "a friggin log", cased it up, next time the case opened was when I sold it to a friend three years later. He absolutely loved it, gave it to him for all of 5 hunnert bucks, both of us very happy.

The other two were ordinary Les Pauls, nothing memorable about them at all, not even colors. Trading fodder, off they went at some point.

I should fairly point out that I was mostly using my 72 Tele Custom, it had gained lots of Keith cred of late. I mostly took out my Purple Yankee Floyd Rosed Kramer, I should mention that it matched my hair most of the time. Couple pointy Washburns, unremarkable, bearly memorable, they went out too, not as much as the Kramer. Aria Pro II, different kinda whangdiddly do bar on it, that went out sometimes.

I hated the Floyd, loved the Kramer. My last 80's guitar, I sold it early 90's to make a car payment.

I have little experience with 80's Gibsons that I can think of, none of it overwhelmingly anything.

rct

My 80s were kinda a lost decade 'cuz I was traveling so much based out of Memphis.

It got me overseas more than a cupla times taking pix and all over the US - but very, very little pickin' when I wasn't wearing out cameras or beating up poor innocent little keyboards.

m

flood...

Yeah, but you'll be talking about your memories about "the old days" before you know it. That sounds now like it's a long ways away... but when you're there, it's just yesterday.

m

I bought my first Gibson, a black SG Standard, I think in 1986. If I remember correctly:

It had speed knobs.

Diamond shaped strap buttons.

It didn't stay in tune great.

The pickups rattled if you bumped the face.

Tuners went south almost immediately.

A thinner neck than the two I later bought.

It came with one of those buzzsaw cases.

Sounded great.

Sold it to help my friends pay their bills.

I also had two '90's SG's:

Black.

No speed knobs.

One was hard to keep in tune. Especially the G string.

Regular strap buttons.

Sounded great.

On one of them, the neck binding started to crack up in places.

One was sold for $700, one I gave to my cousin.

Then I got a:

1999 Black SG Deluxe w/stock Bigsby and w/ block inlays:

Played great, sounded great, looked great. Eventually sold it too.

Finally in 2001 I got a keeper:

2001 '61 RI w/Maestro

Looks great, sounds fantastic, plays like a dream, stays in tune fine.

best part of the 80s was when it ended...

Oh come on now. The 80s weren't that bad. Some awful music yes. But also some really good music. Just to name a few:

The best album of the 80s IMO: Appetite For Destruction - Guns N' Roses

Some others:

1984 - Van Halen

Back In Black - AC/DC

Master Of Puppets - Metallica

Blizzard Of Ozz - Ozzy Osbourne

Eliminator - ZZ Top

Brothers In Arms - Dire Straits

Born In The USA - Bruce Springsteen

Slippery When Wet - Bon Jovi

I was born March 20 1986 and by far that year has been my pinnacle of the 80s, I came into the world on my moms b-day (yup I am born the same day as my mom) so I started life by totally screwing up all her plans [thumbup]

The we have the music, yes there was the bad stuff (Flock of Seagulls) but there was so much good stuff as well.

-Metallica: Kill em All, Ride the Lightning, Master of Puppets, Garage Days, And Justice for All were all recorded throughout the 80s

-Anthrax

-Cannibal Corpse

-Yngwie Malmsteen

-Quiet Riot

-Megadeth: Killing is my Business, Peace Sells, So Far, So Good...So What again all recorded in the 80s

-Ozzy

-Guns and Roses

-Steppenwolf

-Thin Lizzy

-Twisted Sister

-Van Halen

-Pentagram

-Ramones

-The Clash

-Smashing Pumpkins

-Sonic Youth

-Black Flag

-Pantera

-Fear Factory

-Iron Maiden

Master of Puppets is by far the one that stands out, having older step brothers it was this music I grew up on and well MOP was my first introduction into thrash and what we know today as heavy metal.

Right and you know this how? The 80's rocked hard, from the great music to all the sex and not fearing that your partner had something that would kill you. Back then you got a shot and your good to go; today its a death sentence if you pick up something. My Marshall 2203 and 1960A was less than $750.00; today its 2k just for the head.

I'll take the 80's over this crap today.

Congratulations but you couldn't tell the guys between the girls

I didn't have to live though the 80s, thank god, sorry you did.

I'll take this crap over hair metal all day, every day

So you would rather rather have Justin Beiber than hair metal? Then you truly are lost. eusa_snooty.gif

Same as today

I'll agree with you on this sentiment, you have to hunt for the really good stuff. I'll just equate the spandex, feathered hair, and makeup with the Goth/Emo style of today. As for the worrying about catching something, AIDS started running around the US in the 80's. Ever think that carefree sex environment is what helped the disease run rampant?

Uh yeah if you were living on the Sunset strip in LA with all the poser glam rock people, not everyone was androgynous in the 80s. My oldest step brother was actually in a NWA/Public Enemy phase at the time VERY far from looking like a chick.

I'll just equate the spandex, feathered hair, and makeup with the Goth/Emo style of today.

I'd say some of you guys like to listen to music with your eyes a little too much.

What I loved most about the 80's was a much better fundamental understanding of groove.

There are a few newer bands that get it like Maroon 5

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KzjmI-WoLio

But it seems that the groove grind is just lacking in a lot of music today.

But I thought we were talking about Gibsons.

I'd say some of you guys like to listen to music with your eyes a little too much.

What I loved most about the 80's was a much better fundamental understanding of groove.

Not the focal point but he wanted to talk spandex so we covered that. The bands I listen to probably wouldn't make the cut for an appearance in GQ.

Archived