Gibson Brands Forums

The Best of the 1980's

Strumhead

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Lots of interesting comments Almost everybody I know remembers the music as"best" when they were about age 10 till age 20. Not only is that the age when music defines the generation the most , but that's when many of our strongest memories are created and music is a big part of those memories. Most of us can hear a song and trigger back instantly to where we were, who we were with and what we were doing, just by hearing the song.

That time for me was 69 through 79 and thats still my favorite decade of music and it's a easy decade to like with a lot of really good music. That said there's been whole genre's that I didn't like with Disco and Rap coming to mind instantly but there's still always been good music out there. I don't even hate Bieber and Miley Cyrus and that ilk, they were doing the right thing at the right time and tapped into what was popular why should that be a crime, I'm not a fan for sure but hell I'm not even supposed to be. I once heard that popular music (the commercially supported music) is primarily chosen by teenage girls between the ages of 11 and 22 that's why American Idle and Glee pander so heavily to that demographic thats what sells and it always has been, after all weren't the Beatles really just the first boy band!

Right and you know this how? The 80's rocked hard, from the great music to all the sex and not fearing that your partner had something that would kill you. Back then you got a shot and your good to go; today its a death sentence if you pick up something.

I remember people were saying that same thing about the 60s and 70s in the 80s. AIDS and crack epidemics began in the early 80s right? :-k

Farns...

In ways I would absolutely agree that we're in a time of lassitude in terms of movement in pop music, but I don't personally blame the artists so much as the media.

Up through the Beatles, we had three or four updating television stations and AM radio.

Now? Yes, there are tens of thousands of options of what you can listen to, but that very factor makes it increasingly difficult for an artist or band to catch fire as was possible for a Sinatra, Elvis, Beatles or such. So it's that much more difficult for even the most creative band/artist to have the degree of influence on the body of pop. As a result, we're kinda in neutral as a lotta folks try to do the same old thing, just faster and harder.

You could make a case - many have done so - that US pop music prior to the "Brit Invasion" was in that sort of path. Chuck Berry had been "in" for quite a while; we had our boy singers, the twangy guitars, the occasional orchestral thing that went popular, the occasional "novelty" song... But in general it was more of the same.

That's kinda where I see both rock and "country" nowadays. Ain't much that grabs the public and is a real game changer.

m

The 1980's were great, there was music for everybody.

Yet a lot of people insist on pointing what they don't like about it.

This album is from 1988 and it kicks gluteus maximus, if you are not into it, well, that is your problem.

079bf674.jpg

Archived